Chapter 48: Tragedy of the Sheikah

Link was riding Epona through the darkness-covered Hyrule Field. Since he had saved Daruk and Yunobo, the darkness had been lifted from Eldin and Lanayru, something that Emperor Ganondorf probably wasn't happy about.

Before Link would save Revali or Urbosa, he was going to go to Necluda and to the Sheikah Settlment.

He planned to talk with Impa and find out why exactly the ancient Sheikah had comitted genocide against the Zonai, and why the current Sheikah had tortured so many during the Civil War a few decades ago.

Epona crossed through the Dueling Peaks, and past the Ruins of the Battle at Fort Hateno.

Link got off his loyal horse at the entrance to the Sheikah Settlement of New Kakariko, and as he expected, the town was in ruins, with buildings burning or already collapsed.

Even Impa's Mansion was no longer standing.

All that was left was the Food Shop, where Paya was standing outside with Purah and Robbie.

"Purah! Paya! Robbie!" Link exclaimed "How come you aren't at the Hateno Tech Lab or the Akkala Tech Lab?"

"They were destroyed" Robbie sighed  "All of our research, gone"

"Well, I need to see Impa" Link said "I have some important questions to ask her"

"She is dead" Paya sighed "When Kohga, Sooga, and the Yiga Clan, they showed no mercy. The Blew up Impa's Mansion and killed Impa and her guard Dorian"

"What did you want to ask about?" Purah asked Link

"We found surviving Zonai" Link explained "But then Agahnim killed them. And the Zonai told me some things about why they were nearly wiped out. And I also had some questions about the Hyrule Civil War"

"Paya dear" Robbie interrupted "Why don't you go inside with Purah while me and Link talk about history"

"Sure" Paya said as she went inside with Purah

"The Hyrule Civil War was a dark time" Robbie sighed "Impa and her soldiers did what they had to"

"They killed prisoners of war, including Mipha's mother" Link said "You guys did that"

"I didn't kill anyone!" Robbie said "I mean, Purah and I did design the torture devices, but we didn't directly harm anyone!"

"I see" Link said "Then, what about the events of 10,000 years ago, when the Sheikah nearly killed every last Zonai?"

"Our ancestors did what King Gustaf told them to" Robbie sighed "The brand new Divine Beasts destroyed an incarnation of Ganon and saved Hyrule, so the Sheikah and the Hylians decided to see what the Divine Beasts and the Guardians could do to end the series of battles with the Zonai, who were becoming hostile against the futuristic ideals of the Sheikah. I know no more, I mean, those events are shrouded by the clouds of history and the passing of time"

"Alright then" Link said

"I'm going to go check on Paya and Purah"

Robbie went inside the building to talk with his fellow scientist Purah, and Paya walked out

"Hi Link" she said shyly "How have things been since- you know"

"I don't want to talk about" Link said "For only six months of apocalypse, a lot has happened"

As Paya and Link were talking, a Golden Lynel appeared on a nearby cliff and strung Five Extreme Bomb Arrows to its Savage Lynel Bow and fired them.

Paya and Link were horrified as the building Purah and Robbie were in exploded, and the Sheikah Settlement was now gone for good.

"Purah! Robbie!" Paya called out, but Link knew they were gone

Why must everyone go......... Why must their be nothing but darkness and tragedy and sadness.....

"I'm going to stay here while you help the others" Paya said to Link "I'm going to gather whatever food and resources that I can scavenge from this area"

Paya began looking for supplies around the ruins of the last Sheikah civilization, while Link walked off, planning to go save Revali next in Tabantha.

First however, he wanted to visit Hateno Village.

A few hours later, Link got off Epona at the gates of a ruined Hateno Village.

He saw the graves of several familiar names, such as Purah's assistant Symin, Bolson's construction worker helper Karson, and the famous traveling salesman Beedle.

"Thanks for all the rupees" Link said as he put his hand on Beedle's grave, and he placed the Bug-Catching Net next to it.

"What happened here?" Link asked Hudson, a Bolson Construction worker, who was working on building a tombstone for a villager

"Bombings" Hudson said "They came with their Bomb Arrows and blew everything up in the Village that they could.... At first they let Hateno stand, but a few days ago they decided to bring this farming town to an end"

"Is that house I bought still standing?" Link asked Hudson "It cost a lot of rupees"

"Ever since you bought that house from Bolson" Hudson said "Bolson stood in the House and waited for you to return to your New Home. He stood there through the beginning of the Apocalypse, and waited for you to come to your house even as the world got darker. Bolson stood in your House right up until the house blew up. I never saw my boss again"

"Oh" Link said "I'm sorry for your lose. My House is nothing, but the loss of Bolson... Sorry man"

"It is fine" Hudson said "I'm working on his tombstone right now"

Hudson got back to work as Link got on Epona and rode off toward Tabantha.