Chapter 34

Ian's P.O.V

This place is way less crowded than the previous party we went to and I already prefer this. 

The music isn't as loud so, you can hear the other person clearly without the need to either shout or speak right into someone's ear. The lighting is deemed but you can still see everything and there are no annoying flickering lights that become irritating to the eye after a while. 

The party is set in one of the communal areas of the student union building so there are sofas around and two pool tables and drinks on the table at the side. The sofas were pushed back to create more space for people to dance.

"So, for who is this party exactly?" I ask Chloe as she sips her orange juice.

"It's a party that my class organized for only us. It's meant more for the international students that couldn't go home or choose to stay here but everyone from our class is welcome and we're allowed a plus one so that's how you got in, " she says, looking around at the place.

"That's really nice, " I mumble.

"Hey gorgeous, long time no see, " Jacob says as he wraps his hands around Chloe, kissing her on the cheek.

I grinned my teeth to try and hide my discomfort at the view in front of me.

"Hey Jacob, " she says, pulling away from him.

Why do I feel like that hug lasted longer than it should've for two friends?

What am I thinking? Chill Ian!

I don't know why questions like this fill my head whenever it comes to this two. I should really stop thinking like this, at the end of the day I don't know Jacob and maybe I don't really like him, but he is Chloe's friend so, I should try to be civil with him.

"This dress looks really nice on you but then again you make everything look good," he says, smiling down at her.

You know what, fuck what I said earlier, I am not trying shit with this dude.

I feel like his compliments aren't really genuine. I feel like he's trying too hard with words to win her affection.

Is this how relationships work? I hope not!

Letting my eyes wander around I notice that there weren't a lot of people here maybe like 30 people so, that's good. The fewer people the better for me. They have a DJ as well that puts whatever music someone requests and a big tv on the wall where the countdown it's displayed.

We still have around half an hour until the year changes.

Chloe's laughter fills my ears bringing my attention back to her.

How can he make her laugh so easily?

"That's not true! If I made a dress out of a plastic bag, I don't think I'll look so good, but thanks for the compliment anyway, " she says, smiling at him.

How do I steal her away from him? I want to spend some time with her before he gets her attention for the entirety of the night.

"Hey Jacob, come here, want to ask you something, " Felix calls out to him.

"Coming, I'll catch you later, " he says to Chloe before leaving us alone not before throwing a glance at me.

I look at Felix to see him smiling at me before mouthing, you're welcome to me. How the fuck did he even know that I wanted to talk to Chloe alone?

"Want to dance?" I ask her, offering her my hand, seeing as a lot of other people were dancing as well.

"Sure!" She grabs my hand and leads me to a less packed part of the dance floor.