24

Today was still our last day in Texas and a lot has happened today. I did not feel good about my parents getting into a fight because of me. I just want them to be happy together, I felt like this was my fault. Even before today, I heard myself brought up in their fights a few times. I know they have issues but I really was not helping their marriage. Papa and I have not spoken to each other since he yelled at me, It has only been a few hours but I am worried he is mad at me and that is why he has not talked to me.

"Anyone want to play cards?" Dad asks as he holds up a deck of cards.

"Sure." Zack smiles.

"Uh, yeah." I reply. I was not really in the mood to play but I did not want to say no.

"No." Jack says abruptly. He sounded exhausted but also sad.

"Are you okay, Jack?" Dad says suddenly concerned.

"Yeah I'm fine, play cards with your family." He says bitterly before disappearing into the back lounge.

"Jack!" Dad gets up and quickly follow him to the back lounge.

I could feel Zack's eyes on me as I looked down at my hands folded in my lap, he knew exactly what I did. I felt so guilty, I know I caused this. I never wanted to hurt Jack, he did not do anything wrong, I was just upset. I'm glad papa wasn't here right now, he would probably be so mad at me.

After a few minutes I hear the back lounge door open back up. I scoot as close to the wall as pollisble and pull my legs to my chest, still not looking up. "Stella." From dad's tone I could tell he was upset with me. I think I might be dead.

I do not look up at him, I can not bring my self to. "Yes?" I reply quietly.

"What did you say to Jack?" He demands.

I felt so small compared to him. I hear Zack get up and leave the bus quietly. "I-" I feel tears well up in my eyes, "I'm sorry." I start crying.

"Stella," His tone softens, "You need to tell me what you said to Jack." He explains as he slides into the seat across from me.

"I'm sorry." I continue to cry.

"I'm not the one you should be apologizing to." Dad informs me.

"I- I did-idn't mean to." I stutter out, "I- I was upset and I- I just said somethings I didn't mean." I admit.

"What did you say?" He asks.

"H-he came to see if I was o-okay," I start before I cry more, "Oh gods, I am a terrible person." I felt so guilty and full of shame, "I'm so sorry, it's all my fault!" I was hysterical.

"What is?" Dad asks in shock.

"I ruined everything!" I admit, "Everyone would be perfectly fine right now if it wasn't for me." I was sobbing.

"What are you talking about?" Dad asks, very confused and concerned, "You haven't done anything wrong." He informs me.

"You and Papa fight because of me," I cry, "You never come home because of me," I felt like everything was my fault, "Jack is sad because of me."

"Sweetheart, everything but the last thing just isn't true." Dad begins, "Our fights have nothing to do with you, and I'm so sorry you had to hear them, we always try not to fight in front of you." Dad sighs, "I'm really sorry that I made you feel like I didn't want to see you or I was avoiding you, I love you, and I am so sorry. You mean a lot to me, I'm sorry I wasn't spending enough time with you." He admits.

I slide out of my seat on the dinette and go over to his side. I take a seat next to him and hug him tightly. Dad hugs me, rubbing circles into my back gently. I cry into his shoulder quietly for a few minutes.