18

"You're actually here." I say as I see dad sitting on the living room couch.

"Of course I'm here, I live here." He shrugs it off.

"Doesn't always feel like it." I reply as I plop my self down on the couch beside him. I was being rude but that didn't change the fact that I wanted his company.

He sighs, "I'm sorry." He apologizes.

"Okay." I say as I lean into him not wanting to argue, "I missed you." I say as I close my eyes.

"I was never completely gone." He replies as he wraps his arms around my shoulders.

I just shrug in response, not wanting to communicate everything I am feeling, "I still missed you."

He lets out a sigh, "I'm here now." He says.

"Is Jack okay?" I ask

"Oh, uh, yeah," He starts, "for now I guess."

"What's wrong with Jack? Its been months, and everytime I see him he seems fine." I explain.

"The breakup is still hitting him hard, some people take more time than others." Dad explains.

"Okay." I drop the conversation.

We sit there for a while in silence, I was just enjoying my father's company, he was just watching the television. Everything was peaceful until his phone started ringing. His phone was located on the coffee table, I tried to look at it to see who was calling but the phone was face down. Papa leans forward and pick his phone up.

"Hello?" He says as he puts it to his ear.

I can hear a males voice on the other end but I can not make out what he is saying.

"I'm with Stella right now, why?" He asks into the phone.

"No, I've been there almost every day, I want to spend time with my family." He replies defensively.

From this I could tell the person on the other side of the line always Jack.

"No I-" He gets cut off by the voice.

"Jack, you know I have a family." He defends.

"Of course I care about them, are you stupid?" He sounds very defensive now.

"No, I'm sorry." He sighs into the phone.

"I was just-" He's cut off again, "Maybe tomorrow, I'm kind of busy."

"Seriously, you need to stop, I have a family, they come first!" He sounded very angry at this point, "Stop getting mad at me for wanting to spend time with the people I love."

Jack yells something threw the phone but I can not manage to make out what he said.

"Oh my god," he sighs, "of course I love them more, they're my family."

"Stop it." He demands, "Don't you hold that against me."

Dad glances at me who had been very shamelessly snooping on his phone call.

"I can't talk about this right now." He says in annoyance.

"I have to go." He states firmly.

"I said, I have to go." He was more angry with this one, except before Jack can say anything else he hangs up.

Dad let's out an annoyed sigh and sinks into his seat. "Are you okay?" I ask.

"Yeah, don't worry about it." He closes his eyes.

I am going to worry about it, "Okay."

Papa walks in the room, "What's going on?" He asks. I was not sure if he heard the phone call or could just read the room.