37

I quietly tip toed down stairs. The sounds of Papa crying could be heard from the living room.

He did not hear me enter the room. I quietly sat down next to him and put my arm around him for a hug. His crying stopped and he wrapped his arms around me.

"I'm so sorry." He says.

"For what?" I reply quietly.

He pulls away from the hug to look at me, "this might not come as a surprise," he wipes the tears from his eyes, "but your dad and I are getting a divorce." He explains.

I look down at my lap, "I figured." I reply, "where is he?" I ask.

"He's," papa pauses, looking physically pained, "staying at Jack's house."

"Oh." I say quietly.

Papa sighs, "I hope you know that we both love you very much." He explains, "anything that happens between Alex and I has nothing to do with you." He explains.

"I know." I reply quietly still not looking up.

"You and Jade are the best things to have ever happened to me." Papa reminds me.

I look up and give him a weak smile, "you, dad, and Jade are the best things to ever happen to me."

Papa smiles at my comment before pulling me in for another hug.

Later that day I could tell papa was still not feeling a whole lot better. I knew there was not exactly much I could do and I know it is not my job to be emotional support for my own parents but I wish he could just talk to me about it. I want to help more.

I decide to text Johnnie, I have not spoken to him si ce everything went down.

"Hey." I text.

It did not take long for me to get a response.

"Heyy." He responded.

I think about what I am going to say. "Can I tell you something?" I ask.

I see the text bubble that says he's typing. It vanishes momentarily before it reappears.

A minute later I get a response. "Of course."

I start typing, "it's kind of a heavy topic." I hit send.

Almost immediately he responds, "you can tell me anything."

I smile at that, "my dads are getting a divorce." I decide to rip off the bandaid.

"Shit, dude." He responds immediately, "you okay?" He asks.

"I guess?" I respond, "I dont know." I send separately.

"Didn't they just adopt a new baby?" He asks.

"Yeah" I respond, "I'm kind of worried about what custody is going to look like."

"Oh shit, dude, I'm sorry." He texts back.

"It's cool." I respond.

I sigh and set my phone down not really wanting to talk about it anymore. I hear my phone buz but I dont look at it yet.

I decided to leave my room and go check on papa. I started walking down the stairs and I could hear the TV in the living room on.

Jade was laying in a bassinet next to the couch. Papa was sitting on the couch holding a beer bottle. Four other empty beer bottles were resting on the table in front of him. I furrowed my brow at the unusual sight.

"Papa?" I say quietly.

Papa turns around to look at me with a smile, "Hey sweety." He greets rather happily.