11

Giggles erupt through the echoey locker room, I peek over my shoulder in search of the source. Two girls stand there watching me as I change into my uniform, huddled together giggling like idiots. The girls glanced at me and when they noticed I was staring they giggled harder. I look away and finish getting dressed when I am approached by a girl I have never spoken too before.

She pushes her side sweeping bangs out of her eyes and gives me a smile, "Hey." She says as she plays with the charm on her tattoo choker necklace.

"Hey." I reply as I shut and lock my locker.

"So," She trails off as her eyes drift away from me, "Are the rumors true?" She asks quietly, "I won't judge." She winks at me.

"What rumors?" I ask curiously.

"You don't know?" She cocks her head to the side much like Dakota does.

"Know what?" I ask, "What rumors?" I ask in worry.

"Calm down, some girls just been saying you might be gay is all." She says very nonchalantly.

"What, I, uh, I don't  know- what?" I start mumbling over my sentences as I look for the right answer.

"You don't know?" She raises and eyebrow and crosses her arm, "I could help you find out." She smiles as she unfolds her arms and places a hand on the side of my locker, slowly leaning in towards me.

My cheeks turn bright red, "Who is even spreading these rumors?" I ask.

She looks over my shoulder and nods in the direction behind me. I let out a groan, not even needing to turn around to know who it was. "You know them?" She asks.

"No." I shake my head, "Do you?" I ask her.

"Not really, but they talk," She explains, "a lot."

"I don't know where they're getting their information from but it all probably made up." I explain.

"Are you sure?" She asks as she does a small hair flip, creating her whole head of shirt hair to shift along with her bangs.

"Yeah." I sigh.

"Well," She says as she reaches into her bag, "If you ever change your mind," She continues as she pulls out a torn-off corner of the paper and a pen, "You know how to find me." She scribbles something down before holding out her closed hand. I hold out my open hand and she places her palm in mine with the paper in-between before winking and sliding her hand off mine with a wink.

She walks away before I open the paper to see ten numbers written down with a small heart next to it. I roll my eyes and stuff the paper into the smallest pocket of my backpack.

For all of the gym class I kept thinking about the girl who gave me her number, I don't know her name but we kept accidentally making eye contact, or maybe she did it on purpose. After the class was released I quickly changed and grabbed my things before darting out the door, hoping to avoid people.

Today Dad is picking me up from school, luckily I don't have to wait long until I see his car pull up. I quickly walk over to his car and open the door before getting in. "Hey, how was school?" Dad asks.

"Good." I sigh as I lean my head against the window.

"Doesn't sound like you thought it was good." Dad says as he glances back at me.

"Just tired from gym class is all." I explain.

"Okay, hun." He smiles as we drive off.

When we get home I lug my heavy backpack into the house. I drop my backpack in the dining room and walk upstairs without greeting Papa, he knows I'm home. I flop down on my bed and pull my phone out of my back pocket. I yawn but unlock my phone and find my messenger app.