40

I ended up just taking a lap around the block until I was able to calm down. I was not ready to go back inside.

I had been sitting outside for a while when suddenly dad's car, papa's car, and a police car all pulled up to the house.

When dad stepped out of the car I could tell he had been crying. My heart fell to my stomach.

Dad's eyes met mine and I immediately turned around and ran inside the house.

I hastily yet carefully lifted Jade from her bassinet while she slept soundly.

"Where have you been?" Jack sounded concerned, "I tried calling you like twenty times."

I did not respond or even acknowledge Jack; I took Jade into the bathroom and shut and locked the door behind me. I sat down with my back against the door and held Jade closely to my chest.

Jack knocked gently on the door, "Stella, what's going on?"

As soon as he finished asking his question I heard the front door open. "Stella?" Dad called out. "Where are Stella and Jade?" Dad asks.

I dont hear anyone say anything for a moment.

"Stella?" Dad asks through the door, "sweety can you come out of there?" His voice was breaking.

I stay silent.

"Sweet heart, Rian is here," he was choking up, "hes going to take you home for a few days." He explains, "it's only temporary." He says through the door, "please open the door."

"What happened to the new house?" I ask with a shakey voice, "I thought you said we could live there."

"We still will." He replies, "you just need to stay with Papa for a few days, then we can move into our new home together," he explains, "you, me, and Jade."

I carefully stand up with the now awake baby in my arms.

"Please, open up." Dad pleads.

I take a shakey breath before reaching for the door knob. When I pull the door open I see Dad, Papa, Jack, and a.police officer all standing around the door. Dad immediately pulls me into a gentle hug with Jade in between us.

"It's only for a couple of days I promise, we'll get this sorted out." I feel Jade being taken from my arms by papa.

"Hi sweet baby." He whispers to the younger child, "I've missed you so much."

Dad pulls me close and talks quietly, "if he does anything, and I mean anything at all, call the police, then call me."

I nod my head.

"I love you so much, you have my number if you need me." He explains.

"I love you too." I whisper before breaking the hug.

"Stella I missed you so much." Papa pulls me into a hug, "I love you so much."

"I love you too." I say quietly.

Papa did not have his usual smell that I always recognize. Something was different. Something about him smelt like that night I left his house.

"Did you get full custody?" I ask as I get inside Papa's car.

"No, its complicated." Papa replies as he starts the car.

"When can I see dad again?" I ask.

"In a few days probably." He replies.

"Probably?" I ask.

"I, uh," he trails off in thought for a moment, "I guess it depends on how the custody hearing goes." He explains.