34

The baby is due any day now, so my parents and I are packing an overnight hospital bag. The birth mother told us that we could be in the room for the birth but my parents said they want to respect her privacy and make sure that this is a comfortable process for her so we will be in the waiting room the entire time.

Honestly, I would not have wanted to be in the room for that anyway.

Dad seemed very nervous about the new baby. I assume that it may be because an infant is a huge undertaking and a lot of responsibility.

If I am being honest, infants kind of scare me too. It is not about them being like a monster or anything like that. I am scared about how fragile infants are. They can not support their own heads, they have the communication skills of an alarm clock, and sometimes they just spontaneously die in their sleep.

Maybe we should have adopted a toddler. Toddlers are way cuter anyway. They also tend to be a bit less fragile.

They can support their own heads and can walk, and sort of talk, you can teach them sign language too. Best of all, the chances of them passing away in their sleep is drastically reduced. Which is a huge plus.

I am sure everything will be fine. I mean, everyone over the age one one survived their infancy just fine, and there's a lot of people alive right now over the age of one.

I would say the odds are pretty much in our favor if I am being totally honest.

I am still nervous but more of an excited nervous. We are just waiting on a phone call any minute now.

When I think I am finished packing all my things I take a moment to mentally go over what it is I have in my bag.

A comfortable change of clothes, deoderant, tooth brush, snacks, wallet, card games, extra phone charger and ear buds.

Unless it ends up being a C section labor can last up to twenty-four hours. If it takes longer than twenty-four hours it becomes an emergency C section.

I really hope it does not take twenty-four hours but it is better to be prepared for anything.

I do not know what else to do other than wait. I feel like since I have so much anticipation for this new baby, I completely forget what it is I like to do to pass time. I am sure my fathers feel similarly at the moment.

Everything is ready for the baby's arrival. There is not a single thing we may have missed, we were very thorough.

I hope that I never have to change the diaper. That is so gross. Maybe if I ever want a kid I will just adopt a fully potty trained 3 year old or any age higher than three. Honestly three would be the youngest because I really do not want to have to change diapers or potty train a child.

How do you even potty train a kid? The whole idea of teaching a child not to poop in their pants is so weird to me. I do not assume that it is easy to teach such a thing.

I have been studying up on babies a lot since the new baby announcement.

Children are at risk of spontaneously dying in their sleep until they are three years old. Potty training should start at two years and one month old. One year olds should be learning how to clean up after them selves and also feed them selves with minor assistance. Two year olds should start using spoons unassisted. Two year olds should also be learning empathy and emotional regulation.

One year olds should be able to say a few words and babble, while two year olds should be able to say sentences. Two and a half year olds can easily learn very clear annunciation with enough work. And three year olds should be able to use the bathroom unassisted with only reminders to go potty for the first month.