35

Jade's screams could be heard throughout the house. It was late at night and this baby had been keeping the whole house up.

Dad and papa have been sleep deprived for weeks, unsurprisingly.

I have been too.

I guess it is the dark side of having a new born.

I decided to pull out my phone and send a text to Dakota, "u up?"

Almost immediately I received a message back, "yeah, why?"

"Wanna hang out?" I text back.

"Like now?" She replies.

"Yeah why not?" I text.

"You're far" she texted.

"What's the halfway point?" I ask.

She does not text back for a few minutes, "not to far, I'll send you the location to meet me, you can take the train"

"Okay bet." I respond.

I put my shoes on, grab my wallet, keys, and pepper spray and quietly open my bedroom door. I don't see anyone in the hallway so I step out, shutting the door behind me.

Either my parents had gone to sleep or were far too distracted by Jade. Either way I was able to slip out of the house unnoticed.

The walk to the train stop was not the most convenient but I made it there in under fifteen minutes. I did not bother buying a pass, there usually isn't anyone on to check, especially not this late at night. I simply jumped the turn styles to get in. There was a few people on the train, minding their own business. It was quiet.

After a couple of stops I finally got off the train and began walking to my destination. After a short walk I finally was able to meet up with Dakota.

"Hey!" I say as I greet her.

"Long time no see;" she replies, "so much has happened since I saw you last." I could tell that she was mostly referring to my parents.

"You could say that," I reply as we begin wandering in another direction.

"Hey, so, I brought something for us, and you can say no if you want, but I thought it'd be fun." She states.

"What?" I ask.

She reached into her jacket pocket and pulls out a small jar before twisting off the lid. I squint my eyes just to be able to see it's contents in the dark. "Is that a joint?" I ask quietly even though there is no one around.

"Yup, three of them." She replies "wanna smoke it with me?" She asks.

I take a moment to think, hesitating to answer, "sure." I finally decide, "maybe it'll help me get some sleep." I admit.

"Has that thing been keeping you up that much?" She asks.

I chuckle at her statement, "All night every night," I admit.

"Damn, I'll have to give you one of these to take home." She replies.

"Where do you even get those?" I ask her.

"I can show you, you got snap?" She asks.

"Yeah, why?" I reply.

"I'll send you his user so you can add him." She replies, "He's always posting about how he's selling carts, pre rolls, and snow." She explains.

"Snow?" I ask innocently.

"Coke." She replies in a confused tone.

"Oh?" I was shocked, "coke is very different from weed."