12

"Yeah, he is still calling me a school shooter and it's really annoying." I explain to Dakota and I stuff my hands into my sweatshirt pocket to avoid the cold.

"Just-" Dakota begins but gets cut off.

"Hey!" Lydia says happily as she drops her backpack next to me and sits down, "I've been looking for you everywhere, have you been avoiding me?" Her voice is laced with concern.

"Huh? No." I shake my head in response.

"But, you never texted me back, did I do something wrong?" She asks.

"Oh, uh, no, just been busy." I shrug as I look down and start playing with my fingernails.

"But-" She starts, however, I cut her off.

"Can we talk about this later?" I ask.

She sighs, "Only if you're not mad at me." She says.

"I'm not, I promise." I tell her.

She smiles at me and pulls me into a hug. I don't even have the time to hug back because she releases me. I look back at Dakota who is giving me a confused look. I don't acknowledge what just happened I just go back to talking. 

When the bell rings I pick up m backpack and say goodbye to Dakota and turn to Lydia. "What class do you have next?" She asks.

"Uh, art." I inform her.

"Oh cool, I have 3D design, they're right next to each other," She says cheerily, "Let's walk together." She smiles.

While walking to our next class her hand slowly slips into mine, I don't mind, I'm just scared that someone might see us. When we get to the building she gives me another quick hug before going to her class.

I didn't see her after art class or on my way to history or after history, I didn't see her until I got to gym class. "Hey," She says as she comes up to my locker, already changed out for gym, "You know those girls are still spreading rumors about you." She explains.

"Cool." I say annoyedly as I change my shirt.

"If you want we could give them a little show." She winks.

"What?" I say shocked, "Oh my god no." I shake my head as I change into my gym shorts.

"It'd be fun though." She smiles at me.

"I don't need them to think they're right all the time." I roll my eyes.

"Suit your self," She shrugs, "So, you wanna hang out later?" She asks as she takes a seat on the bench beside me.

"Maybe, I'll have to ask my parents." I explain.

All we did in gym class that day was run laps. After school I see both my parents in the car. I quickly get in and greet them, "Hey." I smile.

"Hey, how was school?" Dad asks happily.

"Good." I shrug as I look out the window.

"Make any new friends." Dad asks.

"Nope." I pop the P.

"Just the two then?" Dad asks.

I gulp at the thought of telling them about what may or may not be going on between Lydia and me. "Yeah."

"You know if you want to invite either of them over, you can." Dad informs.

"Dakota is a fan though," I admit, "What if she tells people?" I ask.

"Do you trust her?" Papa interupts.

"Well, yeah-" I start.

"Then it's fine." He concludes.