Chapter 27

Kayden

You know what's so great about pushing 26?

You don't have to be afraid of your parents scolding you like a little child anymore.

Mostly...

I was working on a marketing file when my father called me to his office a minute ago. Our offices are the only ones on the fourth floor so luckily, I don't have to deal with inquisitive employees trying to make small talk. I'm worried enough about what my father wants from me as it is. I've got a pretty good idea of what it could be, but I wont go into this tentatively. I'm not scared of him.

I don't work for him, I work with him. It's time he acknowledges that and starts treating me like it.

I knock once and he calls out for me to come in.

''Come sit, hijo.'' he motions for the lounger in front of his desk and I take a seat, still eyeing him cynically. 

''Reason I called you in,'' this is one of the only things I truly like about Dad. He doesn't do useless chitchat or beat around the bush, he will always go straight to the point. ''You haven't been keeping up on your appearances, Kayden.''

Ha! Knew it.

''I haven't?''

His eyes peer into mine, challenge drooping in his. I don't budge my assertive mien. ''You know you haven't.''

I simply shrug. He's not telling me anything brand new.

''I don't expect much from you, boy, but you know this is one of the main requirements in the job.'' He begins. ''I don't know what's keeping you from showing your face around town these last couple of weeks, but you've missed three new club openings, plus a charity ball from the Los Angeles children's hospital.''

So the hundreds of thousands of dollars I donated weren't enough for him? He just needed me there to entertain the press? I don't want to tell him I haven't felt the ought to go out because my tedious ass enjoys facetiming a certain brunette more then whatever it is he wants me to do.

''Is this about the girl you brought with you on Sunday?''

I don't miss a beat. ''Don't bring her into this.''

''I'm merely saying, if you're unable to get rid of h-''

''Don't.'' I clip. ''You got a problem with my lack of presence? Media's not speaking out on me for once in years? You take that up with me like we're doing right now. Don't even mention her. She has nothing to do with this so her name won't even enter this room.''

He opens his mouth, then shuts it again. I won't back down from this. He's not ever going to speak on her and especially hold her accountable for my shit. This is my doing.

''Who do you think you're speaking to exactly?''

I hold back on rolling my eyes. He still thinks he's the same intimidating man I grew up with. Newsflash, father. I haven't found you intimidating since around the time I'd discovered what pussy tastes like. And that was a long time ago.

''What's the point of this, Dad?''

''You're off to New York this Monday,'' he announces and I freeze.

''New York?'' what in the fuck?

''Yes, New York. One of your clients is dropping an album and the release party is over there. You're attending and that's final.''

''Is it that new chick I was in the studio with last month?'' I thought that didn't come out 'till November...

''Yes, Kayden.'' He breathes. ''Your PA doesn't tell you these things?''