Chapter 8

Kayden

Younger frickin' siblings. God's gift to us older relatives, am I right?

To answer my own question; I'm not.

I'm fucking twenty-five years old, driving my teenage sister to the mall so she can get some makeup or some shit. I don't even know. I didn't ask. I'm kind of embarrassed to say my mama would bust my ass if I refused to do it after she called me over to their house, but she would. No necessity for deceits.

Lucky for them, I'm not one of those older brothers that rebuffs to spend any time with his little sister. Not only is my sister one of the best women in my life, but one of my favorite people, period.

After I manage to score a halting spot behind the massive parking lot of the Beverly Center, I turn the stereo's volume down and notify Cassandra I'll meet her here in a couple of hours.

She frowns. ''Wait, you're not coming in with me?''

I shake my head no and smile as apologetically as I can. ''I'm sorry, herminata. I have to go back and meet dad at the home office.''

She flukes a brow in confusion as she flicks her wrist to check the watch I got for her last birthday. ''Doesn't papa realize it's five-thirty on a Sunday?''

I chuckle, I wish he did. ''Tristemente, business can't always wait for Monday to come around.''

I motion for her to hold on a second so I can go get a hold of her wheelchair in the back. I let myself jump out of the car and move behind the wagon to pull open the trunk. Even with my 6'2 stature, I still have to soar out of the damn thing. I grab the folded piece of chunk and move to the passenger's side of the vehicle. I fondle with the corrugated fragment of wheels until it's propped wide open, boost Cassie out bridal style, and carefully put her on the seat.

I grab the carry-on bag of hers I noticed she left on her seat and lean over to put it over her lap, kiss her on the cheek before straighten back up. ''You gonna be okay?''

She smiles and nods, but the smile doesn't reach her eyes, just like it hasn't the whole ride here. She's been off like this the whole day. I usually can't get her to shut up, but right now, I can't get her to answer my questions with more than one word. She almost seems to be anxious. Which is very unlike her. I know she wants me to go in with her, and I would, hadn't my father requested my presence at his office in half an hour when he spotted me out on the veranda, waiting for Cassie to finally come out of their house.

''I wish I could spend today with you, too, Cass. Lo siento. Papá said it was an emergency.'' I gently profess.

She nods again. ''Entiendo. Just don't come in there embarrassing me. After Sephora, I'll be in that little boutique, the one mamá would drag us to years ago. I don't remember the name, but I heard it got a huge renovation, so-''

I cut her off midsentence before she makes our impatient father chop my head off for not getting there sooner. ''That's great, Cass. I'll just meet you there after I'm done en casa, okay?''

''See you then,'' With that, she turns and makes her way inside. I keep an eye on her for a couple of seconds, making sure she gets in all right- holding my breath at the little bump by the entrée of the mall. I was about to go over there and lift her chair up for her, but she manages to do so herself, and wheels in safe and sound. Which is my signal to get my ass in the car and drive back to Hidden Hills as swiftly as I can.

Lucky for me, the highway isn't so crammed on a Sunday afternoon- almost night. I manage to get there way faster than I expected. The gates of the manor have already been opened up for me since dad was expecting me any minute now, but quickly shut down behind me as I travel further into the immense driveway. I find the perfect spot to cease by the fountain and head inside the house right afterwards.