Chapter 30

Kayden

I fucking hate traveling for work. Especially when I'm on my own.

Nathan flew out yesterday morning for the release party but is back in LA by sunrise, he couldn't leave his clients hanging, I know that. I just don't like being hours away from home.

From her.

I hate how we left things. That I don't feel like I can call her up any minute of the day and just talk crap about anything and anyone around me. It's now that I feel like I don't have that, it occurred to me how much of a rock she's become for me. I've found myself reaching for the phone a lot more than I would like to admit this week, but figured she wouldn't want to talk to the weirdo that tried to plaster her into dating not even a minute after their first kiss.

Not that I'm sorry about the kiss. That was the best fucking kiss of my life.

And I want more, goddammit. I want it all. One taste. One fucking taste of those sweet, pillowy lips and she's already got me imagining them around my dick.

Well, to be fair, I've been imagining that ever since I met her but that's not the point.

Every corner I turned in this damn city, every beautiful building and tourist spot I passed I thought about how much I'd love it if she were here. I would show her around my favorite areas, take her to the best restaurants, walk around Central Park with her, knowing her nerdy ass would love a tour through the Met, the Frick Collection, St. Patrick's Cathedral, we'd definitely go through those for a few hours. Hell, I'd rent the entire fucking thing out for her to enjoy it the way she deserves to. I would coerce her into seeing a Broadway show with me, I'd take her shopping on Fifth, even though we both hate shopping, stop everywhere and kiss the shit out of her for a moment, steal the breath out of her lungs and move on like I didn't just get her wet in the middle of the most chaotic shopping street in the world.

Yeah, my imagination has been running wild this week. That's all I can do to not try something stupid like get her a ticket and email her the flight information to get her here, make her take at least a week off work and everything else that she has going on and spend time here with me.

I don't know whether I'm stupid or just optimistically me for assuming the girl that refuses to even go out with me would get on a plane to come be with me for a whole week.

But I promised myself I'd get us there and I'm not the type to back down from a challenge.

If Bella's taught me anything it's that I like the chase.

⚡️

Josh: Get your ass back here so I can properly bust your jaw open.

I have been staring at my best friends text for about two minutes now, trying to figure out where the hostility is coming from. Now, we don't usually text each other terms of endearment and how much we love one another but this is a little radical for my liking.

Me: Aw, missed me, J?

Josh: You bugging?

I frown. What the fucks happened? I'm about to text back when I notice him typing.

Josh: I'm not playing, Kayden. This ain't no joke.

Me: Man, what the fuck are you even talking about?

I wait for him to respond but a call comes through instead.

''You're such a fucking dick.'' Is his salutation.

''Is it me or have our greetings gone downhill through the years?'' I question sardonically.

''I told you. I fucking told you not to get involved with her if you're just gonna hurt her in the end and what do you do? You pull this shit.'' he goes on, sounding frantic and ignoring me.