Chapter 50

Kayden

''You don't have to do this, you know,'' I mutter a few minutes into the ride.

Josh doesn't even spare me a glance from the passenger seat, gaze straight forward. ''Shut the fuck up, Kayd. We need to do this.''

''I need to do this. You don't have to do shit.''

''Yeah, exactly like you didn't have to do shit for me all those years ago. Just because we don't talk about it anymore doesn't mean I forgot.''

My jaw locks tight, making my teeth scrape uncomfortably. I hate when he brings up the past. I did what I knew was the right thing to do. What every sane person would've done for his best friend in that situation. ''This isn't a game of 'who helped who', Joshua, this is serious shit we're dealing with. Lives. My fucking woman's life.''

''She's my woman too, Kayden- she was long before your ass came along, don't fucking forget that.'' He snaps, his angry eyes settling on me with a look that would kill me if it could. ''I was the one she always called to pick her up when her father was on a fucking ravage again. I was the one that walked her in later that night, moved her into bed, and got downstairs to clean the motherfuckers empty vodka bottles. I drove her brother to his every football practice, picked him back up, and went to all of his games so she wouldn't have to take time off her schoolwork and make it to law school in the next years. I was the one that built her a huge fucking study desk in the attic after Markus moved out so she'd have a private study space without yelling going on around her. I distracted her from that part of her life every fucking chance I got and I did it while taking care of the four others that needed me too.''

He clears his throat when his voice slightly cracks. ''That's why I appreciate everything you've done for me as much as I do. I know what it takes. You didn't have to do shit but you came through every time. I don't know if I ever thanked you for all that.''

I blink a few times, trying to sway myself into believing the bit of moisture that's gathered in my eyes is because of the descending, now rosy sun, gleaming through the highway. ''You can thank me by knocking that son of a cunt out tonight.''

His face morphs into a smirk. ''That was a given.''

My GPS informs me it's time to change lanes and my arrival will take about five more minutes the second after the words leave his mouth.

I hold out a fist and he doesn't hesitate to bump it with his own. ''Let's do this thing.''

Once I'm parked behind a building the size of the Tesla factory, I turn to Joshua. ''How do we even know the fuckers here?''

''He's here.''

My brows furrow. ''And you know this how...?''

''Because he knows we're coming.''

''How the fuck would he know that?'' I burst, feeling myself get peeved again.

Joshua just rolls his eyes, bored. He digs in his jeans' pockets and fishes out some kind of badge with a bogus name on it. He throws the yellowish piece of plastic on to my lap. ''Did you really think I'd make us go in there without having laid a mole in their middle?''

My eyes widen, making my brows skyrocket. He did what? ''You got a mole in there?''

He smiles genuinely for the first time today. ''Let's just say I'm not the only person that owes a friend a favor.''

⚡️

''What makes you think you can waltz the fuck in here and demand to see the boss?''