ninety seven - every bell on earth will ring

*

*

As soon as Lyra James entered the hallway that led down to the flat she inhabited, still wearing borrowed clothes while Dylan and Oliver walked with her, she knew something wasn't quite right. There was a presence in the air that made her shoulders tense up, an aroma of sweat mixed with cheap perfume against Ivory skin.

She paused, sharply glaring down the hallway while Oliver and Dylan did the same, glancing anxiously to one another. "You alright, yeah?" Oliver asked delicately at her, noticing her tense shoulders and glancing at the door.

"Yeah," she mumbled and when realising how distracted she'd sounded, she turned and looked at him clearly, "yeah, I'll be back in a few minutes, okay?" She removed the key from her jacket pocket and turned the lock and entered the house, leaving the door open for the two others just in case.

As soon as she entered, a loud moan was stifled  quite suddenly, the seer's eyebrows furrowing on her own and she glanced back to the other two who had heard the same. "What the fuck?" she asked, walking up the stairs to where she had heard the noise until Jonathan peaked out of his own room. "Hi? Are you okay? I thought I heard something."

The sweat-covered man whipped his hair aside,  a poor attempt of stifling breathless breaths appearing in front of her. His hand anxiously rubbed his eye, starting around the room to look at anything besides her piercing gaze. "You're out of the house? T-That's great, so great. We're fin—I'm fine, yeah I'm fine, I'm going this evening."

Lyra listened carefully, hearing nothing before stating, "Nice to know." In a dull voice.

"Yeah, yeah, I know right? Um, you should go out again- your friend, her name is— A—Her name— Hold on, I know her name— Amira—No, Amine, go see Amine. She's been waiting for me to call and I think it's better if you just go...personally... and if you're feeling better that is and I see that you are—or might be— I won't assume."

"I was planning on going to breakfast with my brother— Okay, you're acting really weird and I can't be arsed with this anymore so I'm just going to go."

"Thanks Lyra!"

Lyra frowned as she walked away, back to the mess of her room and stumbling through the piles of dirty clothes towards the wardrobe for something of her's that was clean, finally settling on a pair of jeans and a jumper similar to the one she'd been attacked by Greyback on and continued about her day.

It got to almost midday and Lyra hadn't completely any of the things she'd set out to do - to speak to Amina and Dae, to visit Wilde and Co and to clean up her room but she had spent almost the entire morning with the couple, genuinely laughing at jokes they made, and it wasn't until the afternoon when they'd parted and Lyra went to visit the shop that she finally felt the Prozac again, streaming through her veins, making her head and stomach spin.