thirty two - an absence of safety

*(For Lyra - Burned Out - Dodie)

*
(For Lyra - Burned Out - Dodie)

(For Harry - All I Want - Kodaline)

*

MIDDLE OF THE WOODS, ROMANIA

When Lyra James was twelve, she had been playing Quidditch with Dylan James, Alicia Spinnet, Fred and George Weasley, Oliver Wood and Harry Potter when she fell over 100 feet in the air and broke both half the bones in her body.

Dylan liked to include his sister in as many practices and false games as possible because he knew once his Seventh Year came he'd be too busy with his head in books and playing for the House Cup. But when he saw his sister fall from the sky, reaching for his wand and finally heard the skull-shattering crack that was her bones breaking, he vowed that he wouldn't include her in anything dangerous ever again. That promise was kept and no matter how many times she pleaded, groaned and argued, he refused to let her play ever again.

But it didn't stop her.

She still snuck out his broom on a regular basis when she had fully healed, going to the pitch with Oliver Wood and the two directing bludgers towards each other as a form of practice. He'd taken the time to disobey his best friends order's because he knew when a possible prodigy was in front of him. She loved Quidditch, with everything that she had and subsequently, the time they were spending together meant that they grew closer and he started spilling all his secrets to the puny second year who was miraculously the best listener he had ever encountered.

He told her he was gay. She replied with 'everyone's at least a little gay once you really think about it'. He laughed and she accepted him.

She told him that she was getting dreams of the future, of things that was about to happen. He asked her if she dreamed that Gryffindor would win the house cup that year. She almost smothered him to death with a pillow but he accepted her.

Turns out, running laps or throwing Quaffles at each other was a good bonding experience. So when she was sprinting as fast as she could in the woods to avoid capture from Fenrir Greyback, she couldn't help but think about her Quidditch-obsessed friend.

She hoped he didn't feel guilty, it wasn't his fault, it wasn't anyone's fault besides one man named Tom Riddle whom she hated with a burning passion. A passion that was driving her as she made her way through the thicket of branches in the woods.

They had been following her for three days. Three days she had lived, breathed and made her way through that everlasting forest. She found a stream she drank from, following it as she walked or ran, not keeping in one spot at a time. She had only eaten berries she had found. She used magic as much as she could, making fires to warm herself up in at night as as well as putting protective enchantments over the camp she set up as she slept and knowing that there was someone in the Ministry who was tracking her with her illegal uses of magic, sending signals to her brother to show her that she was safe. It was comforting to know that there was someone looking over her and it helped her get through the mess she was in.