eleven - the bad news

*

*

Lyra James kept to herself for that whole day after she heard the news. Dean was the only one who could speak to her in the mood she was in, the boy spending most of his day with her.

Umbridge has been made 'High Inquisitor'.

In Snape's class, they had gotten their results back for there mock OWL exam and surprisingly she had gotten an 'O' which no one was surprised about.

Lyra had gotten through the whole day without a detention and when Defense against the Dark Arts came, she didn't want to break the cycle. Umbridge was humming and smiling to herself when they entered the room.

"Wands away," she told them all. "As we finished Chapter One last lesson, I would like you all to turn to page nineteen today and commence "Chapter Two, Common Defensive Theories and their Derivation". There will be no need to talk."

"No need to think is more like it." Lyra whispered before Dean who was next to her snorted. 

"I'm sure you don't want any more detentions, Miss James. There will be no talking." Umbridge persisted.

She opened up her book, tossing her head to her side before noticing Hermione's hand up.  "What is it this time, Miss Granger?"

"I've already read Chapter Two," said Hermione.

"Well then, proceed to Chapter Three."

"I've read that too. I've read the whole book."

 Professor Umbridge blinked but recovered herself fairly easily. "Well, then, you should be able to tell me what Slinkhard says about counter-jinxes in Chapter Fifteen."

"He says that counter-jinxes are improperly named," said Hermione promptly. "He says "counter-jinx" is just a name people give their jinxes when they want to make them sound more acceptable."

Professor Umbridge raised her eyebrows and Lyra had a smile tug on her lips. "But I disagree," Hermione continued.

"You disagree?" she repeated.

"Yes, I do," said Hermione loudly. Lyra wanted to clap and laugh and cheer but she knew it wasn't the time. "Mr Slinkhard doesn't like jinxes, does he? But I think they can be very useful when they're used defensively."

"Oh, you do, do you?" said Professor Umbridge, "Well, I'm afraid it is Mr Slinkhard's opinion, and not yours, that matters within this classroom, Miss Granger."

Lyra then pointed her hand in the air to speak and Umbridge smiled unrealistically sweetly at her. "Yes, Miss James?"

"Slinkhard's views are blinding him to fact." she spoke, not lifting her eyes off the page of the book that she was reading, another book placed cleverly on top of her defence one.  "To rephrase and to state the clear obvious, Hermione Granger is correct."