seventy five - the love of adam and marie james

*

*

*

As soon as Lyra James had seen her mother's face, she immediately sprinted over the fray to capture her in a tight embrace.

The older woman was dressed in exactly what she died in - a long, navy, flowery dress with her hair out and th. Marie let out a mix between a groan and a laugh at the forcefulness and of happiness, taking in her daughter who she hadn't seen properly in sixteen years despite the fact that she was soaking wet and freezing cold. Marie smelt like vanilla and chaos. Marie felt like warmth and happiness. Marie clung to her daughter tightly as Lyra did the same, sobbing and heaving into her shoulder.

"Look at you." Marie's voice spoke - soft, a slight Scottish accent, slightly rasped but clogged from tears. "You've grown up so much... Merlin, Lyra, look at you."

Lyra suppressed another sob, not allowing the woman to pull away and get a proper look at her but keeping her as close as she could. "Don't stop hugging me. Please, just stay like this forever." she whispered, fragility in every syllable.

"I love your hair, by the way." Marie whispered after what was minutes of hugging.

"No, I love yours. I'm going blue next, I promise."

"Ouch." Adam James joked with the biggest shit-eating grin on his face, clutching his chest as if hurt. Lyra jumped off her mother and wrapped her arms around her father, tighter and more forceful as she'd done with her. Adam reciprocated immediately, lifting her off her feet so that she reached his height. Adam James smelt like Dylan James... almost exactly the same. His arms felt like Dylans'. If only Dylan was there with them, then life would be perfect She'd be happier than she'd been in months.

"Don't die ever again." she whispered into his ear, as if she'd known him forever. It certainly felt like it anyway. "Please."

"Lyra, love, I'm pretty sure that's impossible."

"Don't say that I didn't try though."

Adam let out a dry laugh, pulling his face away from her shoulder to get a look at her face. His eyes travelled across it, memorising it like the back of his hand. "C'mere," he whispered when his eyes stopped at the three scars that stretched across face but not lingering as people usually did. Lyra obliged, her arms around his neck, "I'm glad you're safe again, you and the rest of them have been giving us all bloody heart attacks." he mumbled.