eight four - thus always to tyrants

*

*

According to Astronomy, there are two outcomes after a star begins to die.

One, the stars become unstable and ejects its outer layer and leaves behind a white dense core, also known as a white dwarf to hover around in space forever. Two, bigger stars begin to glow brighter and contract and expand several times until they explode into a supernova. Supernova's collapse into black holes when they're big enough, sucking in all life and objects as it courses through space and time, set to destroy.

Lyra Marie James knew she was dying but she didn't know how exactly. The hole in her chest where her heart had been had emptied in the scream that had instinctively left her lips. She had dropped to her knees, forcing Yaxley to let go of his tight grip around her upper arm. She wasn't a Supernova, she wasn't glowing brightly and it felt like she hadn't, she was simply a deep, dark, consuming black hole.

Now, she was staring at the body on the ground, limbs uncomfortably rested against the gravel. Lyra wanted to walk over and check but Yaxley was standing right behind her, one wrong step and she was dead.

The feel of her brother's jacket against her cheek was what finally woke her up, a kiss pressed against her hair with the delicacy of a child with their parent. "Why did you come back? I told you to leave—"

"I made a promise, I'll never leave you behind again."

She breathed in, ignoring the feeling within her chest. Dylan was shaking but not as much as Lyra was. "What's happening?" she mumbled when there was a loud silence, partly incoherent.

"They're both dead, or unconscious, or whatever they are." Dylan whispered back, voice trembling when dead left it, Yaxley moving away to check on Voldemort. "I nicked your wand back from Yaxley, it's in my pocket."

"Thank you."

"My Lord... my Lord..." Bellatrix's voice spoke, as if a lover. Lyra opened her eyes again and turned to see that all the Death Eaters were surrounding him. "My Lord..."

"That will do," said Voldemort's voice.

"My Lord, let me--"

"I do not require assistance," said Voldemort coldly, "The boy... is he dead?"

There was complete silence in the clearing. Nobody approached Harry but they all turned to where the body was lay. "You," said Voldemort, and there was a bang and a small shriek of pain. Lyra flinched, "Examine him. Tell me whether he is dead."

Lyra raised her eyes to where Narcissa Malfoy was walking forward, her eyes briefly on the seer. She crouched down in front of the body, long hair against his face and crept her hand up his shirt to feel his heartbeat. She took a few seconds, shielding Harry's face with her hair whilst they all waited before standing slowly, turning to Voldemort. The James siblings listened out, "He is dead." she simply stated.