seventy nine - a love like ghosts

*

*

The news spread around Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry like a wildfire, crashing and burning through the crumbling foundations in which the castle had grew. The Seer was back.

Pavarti Patel initially heard it from a Third Year Hufflepuff in Moaning Myrtle's bathroom. She had heard it from Myrtle herself who had heard it from another ghost who had heard it from Nearly Headless Nick who had seen her walk by.

Seamus Finagan heard from a Ravenclaw speaking to his own friend on the way to lunch. The Ravenclaw had said he heard it from McGonagall (which was absolutely incorrect, by the way, as he'd actually heard it from Blaise Zabini but had been threatened to not tell so had decided to make up that very predicable lie in its place). Zabini heard it from Neville Longbottom, who had been speaking to Lavender Brown in the middle of Charms and Neville Longbottom heard it out in detention while his listened out for some news, any news on the outside world that wasn't the rubbish being out in the Daily Prophet.

Zabini also had heard the screams escalating from the dungeons. He'd questioned someone about it but a first year merely responded that one of their own was there, he checked who it was and the eyes of Lyra James peered back at him for a single second beneath the crimson of her blood down the side of her head before he moved away.

For a second he'd seen her smile at him.

For a second, he'd smiled too.

Ethan Dolohov first heard about it in a letter from his father. The boy typically had Ginny Weasley to read them for him, but now she hadn't returned to school from the Easter Holidays, he actually had to read them himself and he hated every single word of it. He mentioned a special reward from the Dark Lord for the successful capture of Lyra James, one in which would make them more powerful than the Malfoy's... make him more powerful, Ethan was still technically a blood traitor.

"Your friend's back - the seer."

Ethan raised his eyes to Blaise Zabini in front of him, sliding himself in so he was sitting on the bench in front of him. The Dolohov boy gave a glance to the staff table, McGonagall staring nervously at her bowl of porridge. He couldn't imagine what she was going through. "Yeah, I know." Ethan replied quietly. His eyes snapped back, "Wait, how do you know?"

"I heard Longbottom telling Brown in Dark Arts." he explained quietly, being mindful of where Parkinson was, "I also heard that he's planning to get her out. Going and running like that isn't going to work."

"How?!"

"Same method."

"Aren't you going to tell, headboy?" Ethan huffed, resting his head into his fist.