fifty - a very memorable christmas

*

*

*

When Lyra had agreed to help Fred, George and Dylan pick out suits for Lyra and Dylan's Grandfather's wedding, she didn't think that in the time that they had already supposed to have apperated to Oxford Street she would still be sitting at the kitchen table with Ron and Harry.

She had already finished her pile with the flick of her wand, refusing to do Ron's as he had to learn to do it the muggle way (he wasn't going to have his wand with him all the time).

Lyra was sat on the kitchen table, fully dressed in jeans and two woolly jumper as well as a winter coat, her head rested on her firsts as Harry had recounted everything they'd heard on their escape to spy on Snape and Malfoy. "So, Snape was offering to help him? He was definitely offering to help him?" Ron asked.

"If you ask, that once more," said Harry, after the fifteenth time, "I'm going to stick this sprout--"

"I'm only checking!" said Ron. Lyra's eyes moved to the window where snow was falling in slow in unsteady spirals.

"Yes, Snape was offering to help him!" said Harry. "He said he'd promised Malfoy's mother to protect him, that he'd made an Unbreakable Oath or something--"

"An Unbreakable Vow?" said Ron, looking stunned. "Nah, he can't have... Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure," said Harry. "Why, what does it mean?"

"Well, you can't break an Unbreakable Vow..." Lyra told him.

"I'd worked that much out for myself, funnily enough." he replied and Lyra looked away with her eyebrows raised, "What happens if you break it, then?"

"You die," said Ron simply. "Fred and George tried to get me to make one when I was about five. I nearly did too, I was holding hands with Fred and everything when Dad found us. He went mental, Only time I've ever seen Dad as angry as Mum, Fred reckons his left buttock has never been the same since."

"Yeah, well, passing over Fred's butt--" Lyra spoke quietly.

"I beg your pardon?" said Fred's voice as the twins entered the kitchen before sitting next to Lyra with a bright smile. " I didn't think I'd hear something like that come from you, LyLy."