thirty - goodbyes and hellos

*

*

Good Things Fall Apart - ILLENIUM, Jon Bellion
*

Lyra James sat on the edge of her bed in the Girls Dormitories, glaring down as she held something in her hands, smiling softly down at it. It was a picture of the Order, a picture of everyone including Sirius. He was laughing, his arm around Remus who smiled too. It made Lyra's heart break.

She pressed a kiss to it, smiling before she wrapped the framed photo up in a cloth. "If you're alive, I'll find you." she thought, "And if you aren't, I love you."

There was footsteps, Lyra quickly hiding the photo between her clothes and placing them in the trunk as there was someone coming up as Lyra knelled to her trunk and started to put everything that was laid out on her bed away. "Haven't you packed yet?" McGonagall asked as she walked in, Lyra looking at her softly, "The train leaves in a few hours."

"Yes, well, I have been a bit busy." she replied to her as Lyra went to her to help her walk to the closest bed to sit on and cleared a side on her bed for her to sit. "How do you think it feels like to die?" she asked, biting her cheek softly as she tucked away her school books.

"I haven't the faintest idea." she laughed for a second, Lyra looking up at her, "I always used to wonder what it was like... whether the ones we love go away... Marie, she always said that they didn't and she was right..." she trailed away, "The ones we truly love never really leave us." McGonagall put a hand to Lyra's cheek lovingly, "Never." she repeated.

Lyra looked to the ground, "What if something happens this summer?" she asked her, her eyes filled with pain and sadness, "I have a terrible feeling--" she told hers, shaking her head. "What if the Order let their guard down and--"

McGonagall interrupted her, shaking her head too. "Lyra, you are protected and you are safe and you are loved." she said all in one breath, "Nothing will happen to you."

Lyra stood up, hugging the woman softly. Lyra had missed her so much in the time that she was in St. Mungos. She sniffed loudly before pulling away, a bright smile on her face. "I always hated them dormitories." McGonagall told her, "Red is such an angry colour."

"God, I've never liked them either." Lyra replied, a small smile on her face, "I'll miss you, Nana."

"I'll visit, don't worry, dear." she told her as Lyra chuckled loudly. "You'll be sick of me by the end of the summer."

"I doubt that."

Lyra then remembered there was a day before she was meant to leave and she cracked her knuckles, "Alright." she told her grandmother who had already started to fold a pile of clothes beside her pillow, "Let's do this."

*

On the train back, all eight of them sat together in the same carriage. Hermione was reading the Daily Prophet again making sure she hadn't missed some important bits between the lines of each article coming out, Ginny was doing a quiz in The Quibbler and sharing her answers with Ethan beside her who was doing the same and Neville was stroking his Mimbulus mimbletonia, which had grown a great deal over the year and now made odd crooning noises when touched while Lyra wrote in her diary, using her leg as a hard surface. Harry and Ron were playing wizard chess rather aggressively in the middle of the room.