seventy one - apologies and reunions

*

*

When Lyra was a child, she used to argue with her brother often.

Their arguments lasted weeks, both of them being too young and too childish to apologise or believe that they were wrong (even though Lyra was nearly always in the wrong). The argument were constant. They would avoid one another in the primary school playground and they'd turn their friends against the other.

That all changed after one event - the arrival of Dylan's letter to Hogwarts.

Lyra, being seven, watched her brother open the letter with such glee in his eyes. The truth had hit her in the face immediately - he was leaving her forever and he was never coming back (which wasn't true but Lyra was never one to underreact). Dylan saw the expression on her face and they made an unspoken promise to never have another stupid argument again. Of course, this didn't last but they grew out of their destructive behaviour and grew more into being diplomatic with one another. Lyra had learnt to apologise, Dylan had learned to not be a dick (in her opinion anyway).

It seemed that her incapability to apologise was carried on from her childhood.

She woke up, knowing Harry was outside and knowing that they'd just gone through something exceptionally traumatic. They both could've died that Christmas Eve... but they didn't and that was enough for a reconciliation in her books.

With two cups of tea in her hands and having woken up a few minutes ago, she walked outside of the tent to where he was sitting on watch. A beam of sunlight had shone into his face and it seemed like he was letting it, eyes closed and fist wrapped around Hermione's wand. "H-Hey." she whispered. Harry opened his eyes and sat up, his face softening and moving away from the beam of light. "I, um, I made you a tea. It's pretty cold so it'd warm you up, I guess... and I charmed it so it'd stay warm."

Harry smiled, taking the mug from one of her hands and cupping it delicately. "Thank you." he responded, Lyra nodding back and perching herself beside him. "H-How are you feeling?"

She felt like shit. "I'm fine." she replied. "What about you? Heard you mumbling a few times... saying something about your mum and dad. I know it must've been hard for you to go back, especially after so long."

"Yeah, I saw them die again." He mumbled.

"If you want to talk about it, I'm here... I'm not going anywhere--"

"I'm sorry." he interrupted before she could finish. He waited to see her expression but when she simply kept her mouth shut to let him continue, he went on, "You didn't deserve what I said. You don't deserve any of it -- I was so stupid. I'm the one who said all that, I'm the one who put us in so much danger. I'm so sorry." he told her all at once, Lyra staring at him with an especially sad expression on her face. His own was shaking and their eyes met. "Lupin said there would be magic we'd never imagined. We should've listened to him, we should've gotten more help."