fifty eight - a surprise revelation

*

*

On the day of her Apperation exam, Lyra James woke up in a cold sweat for the fifth time that week.

That would've been normal if it was once a night. However, it was only Tuesday and the sleep had never felt more like a chore. The week before it had been twenty times. The week before that it was fifteen. Something was coming.

Harry beside her was sleeping soundly, unaware of the girl's frantic breathing and heaviness. He was lay flat on the bed beside her, his entire body shielding the kitten which was lying between them. Nox woke up to the seer moving around, crawling onto her almost-bare chest and curling up on her stomach just under her sports bra. Her cerulean eyes burned into Lyra's cinnamon brown, the seer's hand reaching down and stroking the cat's head with such gentleness that wasn't uncommon with the girl.

Nox was no longer a kitten. She'd been growing uncontrollably right in front of Lyra's eyes and she felt as though she had grown with her. The kitten had grown into a teen, a bit ironic seeing as Lyra was a teen and looking after her  and was soon to go out into the world (but still remain in Lyra's care, she wasn't about to abandon the first love of her life).

Lyra reached for her dream journal but kept her hand on the kitten, looking down at the last few entries. They hadn't been good. They all featured the same dream, the same Astronomy Tower, the same teachers and the same Headteacher falling from said tower. Tears blanketed the paper, crinkling and tearing through the corse material as her eyes finally absorbed everything.

17 April 1997

Green light. Snape with his wand towards Dumbledore. dead. dead. dead. dead. dead.

18 April 1997

Green light. Dead.

19th April 1997

Third dream. Certain going to happen. Death Eaters are filling the castle, there's a battle raging downstairs - I'm not apart of it and I won't be. Snape has his hand wrapped around my upper arm, his grip so tight my eyes were tearing up but they're blank. Snape had his wand up, I can't move. I can't help. I want to, I feel the weight of what's happening.

Greyback moves closer towards me.

Green light. Snape with a wand. Dead.

Lyra's shaking hand slammed the notebook shut as the green light blinded her sight. It left her raging. She'd warned Dumbledore for months that this would happen. She told him about her suspicions, she'd told him everything that she'd found out about Snape and he'd dismissed it easily as you'd dismissed a child with nightmares. He'd said there was a reason for why he trusted Snape with his life but every single time she'd try to ask it if him, he simply stated that she'd know when the time is right.