forty two - every action has an unequal and amplified reaction

*Newton's third law states that every action has an equal and opposite reaction

*
Newton's third law states that every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

Though, this could be correct in lots of cases - physics, a normal person's mind but it does not apply to Lyra Marie James. An example of an action is holding hands with someone and feeling like they could be something more. A rational reaction would be to try and figure out their emotions but Lyra James was anything besides rational. 

Lyra actively tried to avoid Harry for the next two days, pushing past all emotions she ever had for anyone and skirt past her feelings. It didn't help that they shared nearly all their classes and he sat on the same table as her in potions as well as Transfiguration but she kept to herself - trying to listen to the teacher rather then glance in the direction of the other.

In the Wednesday of their first day of school, sitting in the double desks, Lyra felt completely brain dead. Everything that Professor McGonagall was talking about regarding turning larger animals to several objects was going in through one ear and right out the other which she had been warned about by the older years. The stuff was simply too hard and from the look on Harry's face, he was feeling the same level of hopelessness that she was.

McGonagall stopped for a second to let them process what she had just said, the entire class looking as if they had been hit several times on the head by a mallet aside from Hermione, of course, who had been picked on to reiterate what she had just said but it was clear that no one was really listening.

"Did you understand a thing?" Lyra whispered at him softly, moving her leg beside his so their thighs were touching.

"No." he replied which made her let out a humourless chuckle, smiling adoringly at him.

"Oh, you have an eyelash on your cheek." she whispered, bringing a finger up to it and brushing off a stray eyelash from his cheek. "Make a wish." she whispered, holding up her finger so he'd be able to blow the eyelash away after he'd made the wish. "What'd you wish for?"

"If it tell you, it won't come true." His lips rose into a knowing smirk while she sat back on her chair. "That's like the first rule of making a wish, come on, Ly!" he whisper-exclaimed at her.

"You'd tell me if it comes true, right?"

He cut his face away with a smirk. "You would know, trust me."

They waited until the double period was finished before speaking again, talking as they packed up their stuff. "What's up with you and Proudfoot?" he asked hesitantly and desperately trying to sound casual as the image of them laughing together at breakfast appeared in his mind.

"He's doing a rather large favour for me so I promised I'd do him one which eventually turned into a few." she places her satchel over her shoulder, Ron and Hermione relieved that they were talking and leaving them to it. "Nothing is going on, we're not dating or anything."