ninety eight - to build a home

*

*

The house at the end of the estate, on 145 Meadow Path was where Lyra James lived. The block was wide, with a grey stones exterior from the 70s, containing dozens of families as well as Jonathan Armstrong and Dae Kangjeon lived and breathed in.

The hallway leading to the house was cramped, but not too cramped. The navy blue front door, which was the only exit aside from the windows which allowed leave, was small, but not too small. The windows were wide, but not too wide and with a view of the residential corner below. From the outside, it looked like a normal council house, like all others, but the inside was different. Every surface if not previously being used for a key bowl, shoe stand or anything decorative was lined with all sorts of house plants as per Dae's request. From the flowering hibiscus rose-Sinensis to the Ficus Benjamina, they filled the corridor with a green, bright light that couldn't be given any other way. The green plants accentuated the white walls, making them appear bright.

The kitchen, directly from the front door with an even smaller door, was the heart of the house. The countertop was black with false marble while white wood glistening. The kitchen table, white painted wood. The tabletops and counters were worn by either dust or constant use.

The stairs leading up to the bedrooms were lined with picture frames not belonging to the seer, every single picture excluded her or any part of her presence. With carpeted floors and oak bannisters, it was easy to walk up to see each distinct room. Dae's room was bright from what Lyra had seen from it, the always-open window bringing in light. Jonathan's was always dark but welcoming, a deep shade of blue or purple on whatever he could find.

These friendly four walls, barren of any sign of the seer as bringing door frame a down onto her head, suffocated her.

She found it comforting in her first few months of living - she was surrounded by things that gave her life, things that sustained her but that feeling got old incredibly quickly. Without Dae, Harry or Dylan around, she could feel the plants sucking her existence out of her, leaving her into a hollow mess.

On the morning of New Year's Eve, Lyra opened the front door to see Oliver with a semi-sympathetic facial expression, "You okay?" he asked when he got a look at the state of her, eyes reddened. "No one's seen you for days, I just wanted to check in since Dylan probably hasn't noticed you've been completely out of it."

Lyra took in a deep sigh, nodding slowly as she wiped something from the corner of her eye, "Yeah, I'm fine." she responded, "I don't know what you're on about with 'no one's seen me' since I saw Harry, Ron and Hermione yesterday. We had coffee."

"Yes, but Harry said you looked off." Oliver looked inside, vaguely focusing on something, "Was I interrupting anything?"

"I was crying and cleaning, you're hardly interrupting anything."