Chapter 54🌹

Josephine

"And the winner is... Miss... Zendaya Coleman!!"
Hearing her name called, I cannot help but feel sad. One thing is because I couldn't get the money which can save my family. I need to find a new way to help my family's financial crisis. And the other thing is that I couldn't prove myself to Hero's mother and ,in fact, I showed her Miss Coleman is better for Hero than myself. I really wanted to win this contest but the result didn't go in my favor. But I can manage to prove I'm worth it for Hero since it's not that they're going away or something, right?
"However,"
The middle-aged female judge who just announced the winner speaks again.
"Miss Langford also impressed us in such an unique way that no one else can. The children couldn't choose either of these wonderful young women for the winner in the last stage and I believe that says enough that she deserves to be awarded as well. Therefore, we would like to give her the special award and ten thousand dollars for her effort."
This takes me by a surprise. I have received a fifth amount of the debt with a special prize though it's not equal to the first prize. It could be able to impress Hero's mother to some extent if not much. I regain some confidence. And about the money, I will figure out, but now I want to go to my friends and tell them thank you for supporting me. As soon as I get back to the backstage, I run to the audience seats to find them. I have no difficulty spotting them since they are all tall and well-built but the very man I want to see is not there. Where did Hero go?
I pad to their seats and Shane is the first one that notices my approaching.
"Hey, Jo! You did great!"
"Thank you. And thank you guys for supporting me and I'm sorry I couldn't win the Grand-Prix."
I apologize to them.
"There's no need to apologize, Jo. You did your best. And about the money and Hero's mother, we will figure out."
Gavin says with a pad on my shoulder.
"Thank you. I'm sorry that I'm always counting on you guys."
I look them in the eyes.
"You're our friend and friends are for counting on when you're in trouble, right?"
Shane's words warm my heart and stimulate my lacrimal glands.
"Don't cry. You're not really pretty when you cry."
Gavin teases me. Fucker.
"Shut up. I'm moved but you ruined it, asshole."
And we all laugh. Our friendship is something to cherish, I suppose.

"By the way, where is Hero?"
I ask them.
"I don't know. He went somewhere, saying he has something to take care of."
"Oh... ok."
I feel a bit sad because he's not here for me when I want him to. Although there are my friends here, it's not the same as him being here since he is the only one that can give me the full assurance and comfort.
"I'm sure it's nothing to worry about, Jo. So why don't we throw a party to congratulate you?"
Ross suggests and they all agree.

————

Martha

"Watanabe. Report who won in the TOW."
I demand my secretary though I already know the result. There is no way that poor, vulgar girl could beat that perfect Zendaya. What a fool she is, I smile to myself.
"I heard that Miss Coleman won the first prize as you predicted, ma'am."
His answer satisfies me as my lips cannot hide a smirk.
"Oh, really? Although I already knew it, I still feel bad for that little bitch who foolishly thought she could be good enough for my son."
My triumphant laughter echoes in my office.
Suddenly, a knock on my door hears. Watanabe walks to get the visitor.
"Good evening, Miss. please, come in."
Says he. I wonder who it is. However, my frown soon goes away once my favorite girl appears behind the door.

"Good evening, Mrs. Tiffin."
Zendaya greets. Always polite, sweet girl. Her sophisticated manner brings me a smile.
"Good evening, Zendaya. And please call me Martha since we're soon going to be a real family, sweetheart."
She smiles a little but it disappears in a second.
"What's wrong, honey?"
I cannot help but ask. She hesitates to open her mouth but eventually gives in.
"I've always liked your son since I was little."
I nod my head in content.
"And I would like him to be happy. And I've always thought it would be me who could make him so. But after I spent my time with Miss Langford today, I realized that she's the one. Therefore, I'm sorry but I can't get married to him."
I gasp in horror. Why on earth does she think that little filthy bitch is better than herself?
"No no no no!! You must be exhausted and that's why you're saying silly things, my dear."
I try to bring her sanity back. She cannot be sane.
"I'm being sane, ma'am. I just realized I'm not the one for Hero."
A panic overtakes me as the future of my company has darkened in a flash. Hero and Zendaya's marriage was also for our companies' new treaty that could help our financial problems.
"Don't say something like that, Zendaya. I'm sure he will realize his feelings for that girl is just an illusion and the one he needs for himself is you soon."
I don't care if I look desperate because I am and this is the only way to save my company.
"I'm afraid that's not going to happen after I saw the way Hero sees her. It was nothing but a genuine love that nothing could interrupt. But you don't have to worry about the treaty, Mrs. Tiffin because I'm still going to ask my father to enforce it."
She assures me, which calms me down. Yet, it was not a lie that I wanted her to be my daughter in law and I still believe she's the most perfect for my son.
"Although I won't marry Hero, I still want to be close to you as well as Hero. Please keep in touch with me, Mrs. Tiffin... I mean, Martha."
Leaving me agape, she smiles before heading to the door. By the time she opens the door, I haven't been able to find my voice yet. She, then, turns back to look at me and says,
"Miss Langford is... she's not someone you can easily find, ma'am. And I think Hero is quite lucky to have her in his life."
She walks out from my office, followed by Watanabe. The sound of  my door shut echoes and I stumble back  on my seat, totally taken aback.
Why in the world does everyone think that foolish girl deserves my son? She lives in a completely different world from us. There's no way she could fit in ours. I need to show the world that they can never be together if there had happened to be something ridiculous that's called love.

I need to come up with a plan B.

————

Josephine

I'm in a party that's held for me yet my mind is not here with my friends. Without Hero, I don't feel like having fun. I thought he would be next to me throughout the party, complaining about my losing yet praising me at the same time. I really wanted to see him and came up with a new plan to prove myself to his mother together. Where is he now? What is he doing? I have been keeping to ask these nonsense questions to myself. I know I'm being paralyzed but I've got a feeling that something has happened to him and I'm kind of worried.

"... Jo? Jo, are you with me?"
Ross waves his hand in front of me, which snaps me back to reality.
"What? Y... yeah, sorry. What were you saying?"
I apologetically shrug my shoulders. He studied my face and smiles.
"Don't worry about Hero and have some fun. I think he's just caught up with his family business."
As though reading my mind, he says.
"W...what? I'm already having fun, Ross! And I'm not worried about that idiot at all!"
I lie and drink my cola, only to cough hard because of the gas. He chuckles with shaking his head in defeat.
"You're such an open book, Jo."
I blush in embarrassment.
"Why don't you call him if you're that bothered?"
I hesitantly nod yes to his suggestion and walk out of the crowded room to the quiet area. I take out the iPhone and call him after taking a deep breath. For some reason, I'm nervous. A couple of rings later, he picks up.
"What's up?"
He speaks on the other end of the line. He sounds a bit off. My anxiety expands.

————

Hero

"Umm, hey. What are you doing now?"
Her sweet voice sounds from my phone. She doesn't seem to be as cheerful as usual, which tightens my chest with guilt. In front of me is my stuff being shoved into boxes to ship to London with me tomorrow.
"I'm... I'm helping our company's work now. Sorry that I couldn't make it to your party by the way."
Although I'm not an expert in lying, I tell her a lie so she doesn't have to worry about me. It's not her fault that I have to go back to London with the bitch of my mother and I want her to be happy for a while before she learns my secret leaving. Sometimes, ignorance is better than knowingness.
"Oh, I see. Don't worry about it. I'm having fun with the boys anyway."
She says so though anyone can tell she's lying.
"That's good but don't have too much fun, Langford. Otherwise I'm gonna ducking torture you the next time we meet."
I joke to cheer her up and my attempt succeeds.
"Shut up, asshole!"
Her giggle and curse fill my ear as well as my heart. I involuntarily smile.

"When can I see you next?"
I gulp in perturbation. I can never tell her that I'm not sure when we can see each other again if not impossible now. So another lie leaves my lips.
"How about tomorrow? And since tomorrow is Christmas Eve, I'm giving you 40 thousand dollars as a present."
About the present part, I didn't lie because I was going to give it to her to cover her family's debt through Ross after I fly to London. I manage to persuade my mother to allow me to do it in a condition that I will not keep in touch with Langford. I'm not going to keep that promise at all, though. I will find a way.

"I'm not busy tomorrow so that's ok. But are you sure about the money? I feel like I'm cheating if I receive it from you."
She's hesitant. Always a stubborn girl.
"It's not a cheating because I will give the money I earned not my mother's so just take it, idiot!"
"Well... if you say so..."
She finally gives in. If she had stayed stubborn, I would have paid the debt in place for them anyway.
"Good. Then, take care and see you tomorrow, Langford."
I make a promise that would never be kept. My eyes sting with salty liquid. (They're not tears, bitches! It's just... just salty liquid!!!)
"Why did you say 'take care' when we will see each other within a day?"
She care-freely laughs as sadness takes over my entire body.
"I'm just worried about you because you're clumsy, you know?"
The third lie exits from me. I pay my attention not to make my voice muffled.
"You're always an ass-wipe!!"
She shouts at me.
"Always for you, Langford."
Always for you, I repeat those words again in my heart before hanging up.

🌻A. N. 🌻

Thank you for reading, guys❤️ I'm so sorry it took me a while to finish this chapter🙇‍♀️ But I hope you liked it😌 This chapter ended with sadness but what do you think will happen next?? Stay tuned🙌😊

Kaia Gomez🦋