Chapter 47🌹

Hero

I tap the call icon on the screen and wait for the person to pick up. Three rings later, that familiar voice sounds.
"Hi, my beloved little brother. What happened this time?"
She knows that whenever I call her instead of text is an emergency. Also, I think she's already assuming it's about Langford and me according to her tone. God. She's like Zeus.
"Hey, Mercy. That bitch of our mother is trying to destroy my relationship with Langford and need your advice."
I tell her straight forward.
"I thought she would make a move once she found out you two were serious. So Jo did choose you, didn't she?"
Through her words I can hear her excitement and happiness. She truly supports me and I'm glad I have her on my side. Smiling like a idiot I am, I reply.
"Of course she did! Why would she choose someone but me?"
"Well, I bet 1 million for that you were so close to losing her."
Her giggles hurt my ear as well as my ego from the other end of the line. She really is Zeus. I'm kind of scared of her insight now.
"W...w...whaaaaat???? That's just too stupid a theory! Ha. Ha."
I pathetically stutter in a high-pitched-girl-like voice. Was it too obvious that I was lying? Maybe another fake laugh will make it better.
"Ha."
See? Now it's convincing enough. I'm genius, aren't I?
"Whatever you say, Hero."
She sighs in amusement before continuing.
"So. About what our mum did to Jo. Did she fire Jo's father just like she did my ex-fiancé's father?"
Her tone loses its humor in a flash and turns into dead serious. And that lets me know that she's not completely over him after all these years, which makes me sympathize with her.
"Yes."
To my simple answer she lets out another sigh. However, this time it contains no amusement but anger, sadness, exhaustion and sympathy.
"I thought so. I'll talk to her and do everything I can. I won't let her ruin another true love ever again. Trust me."
She's so determined and I can't help but admire her strength and the love toward her only brother.
"Thank you, big sister. I'm happy I have you."
I sincerely thank her. I've never appreciated having a caring sister or told her my gratitude like this before, which tastes a little strange to my tongue.
"Aww. Look what she did to my rude, angry asshole of my brother. Now he's even telling me 'thank you' for goodness' sake! Given this great change of you, I will kill you if you hurt her or let her go. Do you understand that, young man?"
She's not only playful but serious as hell. Knowing her personality, she WILL kill me for sure if I did break the promise. My people keep making sure that I will never break this promise these days.
"Of fucking course, sister! Why does everyone asking me that dumb question?"
I laugh it off, thinking it's nonsense of her and others to ask me that when the answer is quite obvious. She chuckles in response.
"Then, promise that you'll stick to your words no matter what happens. Got it?"
She has finality in her tone which somehow makes me uneasy. Probably, she's reflecting my situation to her past mistake. The biggest mistake of hers of letting go of the live of her life.
"Yes. I promise."
I swear to her with every single cell of my body.
"Good. Now, I'll hang up so I can start my plan as soon as possible. Bye!"
No waiting for my "bye", she ends the phone as if hiding her vulnerable side of her from me. I can't blame her, though, because she hates to show others her weakness. Like sister like brother, I may say?

But now I have things to do before discussing Mercy and I's similarity for fuck's sake. Scrolling the contracts on the phone screen, I find her number and I don't waste any second before pressing "call".

————

Josephine

After going through website after website, I realized that I needed to skip school and hunt some highly-paid jobs since they're mainly bars and where underages aren't usually allowed to work. The owners will be reluctant to hire me who is still in high school but I'm going to beg them one by one until I can finally find one. I'll be as persistent as leeches because our life are literally counting on it.