Chapter 5🌹

Josephine

I realized how great a friend Joey is yesterday. I would do absolutely anything if only I could have her in this school instead of those in front of me now. Ugh.
I'm in the cafeteria to eat lunch now. A lot of students were already enjoying their meals when I arrived there. According to the blackboard put at the entrance, today's deli is "Japanese Special". Hmm, sounds delicious.
But I know too well about this school that this deli is nothing what we ordinary people would imagine.
Making my way further into the room to find an empty seat, I finally be seated after a couple of minutes. When I cast my eyes to the table next to me, my guess was instantly proved to be correct. Before my eyes is this sight.

My jaw dropped to the ground in astonishment the first time I saw how luxurious the lunch in this school was

My jaw dropped to the ground in astonishment the first time I saw how luxurious the lunch in this school was. But after a few years spent here, my receptor of surprise has become numb and I no longer feel anything about these ridiculously gorgeous meals. Habituation is what this is.

Needless to say, these dishes are far too expensive for my wallet so I eat the lunch my mom makes instead. My mom, being as kind as you sometimes even feel annoyed, cooks massive meals for me so that I don't have to be reminded that I'm poor. She's so sweet, isn't she?

I open the lunch box and lots of small yet elaborated French foods spread in front of me. my mouth doesn't waste any second to water like a dog. The moment I was about to dig in my lunch, an uncomfortable male voice was conveyed to my ears.
"You must be the cute new girl. Lili, is it? Come sit with us and let's have some fun."
Looking up, I see Lili surrounded by 4 boys at the wall near me.
"Um.... I..."
Lili seems to not make a coherent excuse but clearly upset.
"Let's go."
Despite her reluctance, one of the guys' arm snakes to her waist and forcefully pulls her closer. In a second, I stand up to my feet and call her name.
"Lili! Come here! Let's have lunch together."
A relief washes off her frown and replaces it with a smile as she escapes from the asshole's grip and pads to me.

"Thank you so much, Josephine."
She politely thanks me soon after she seats herself in front of me.
"It's nothing. And you can call me Jo."
I friendly tell her.
"Well, thank you, Jo. I'm not used to being friends boys to tell the truth."
She shrugs in embarrassment.
"So am I. But you have nothing to worry about because boys are nothing but fools."
I overly roll my eyes and gain a giggle from her. She looks much more relaxed than a while ago, which makes me feel better.

"Why do you bring your own lunch while you can have freshly prepared food here?"
She tilts her head in confusion after some stretch of silence.
"Because I can't afford it with what I earn from my work. It's shameful though. But my mom is such an amazing cook and I'm 100% content with her cooking skills."
I answer with honest. She doesn't say anything but just keeps staring at me as if I've grown two horns on my head. What felt like forever later, she eventually opened her mouth.
"Well, I don't know what to say or even think. But I'm sure your mom is a wonderful woman as well as a cook."
She weakly smiles and I return if back but more cheerfully than her.
"She really is. Come on. Take a bite of her meals!"
I push my lunch box toward her and her fork slowly stubs a piece of quiche and closers to her mouth. Chewing for a few seconds, her eyes went wide and the corners of her lips automatically curl up into a beautiful grin.
"This is the most delicious thing I've ever had!"
She squeals like a fan girl in contrast to her usual well-behaved character.
"I'm glad you liked it."
I chuckle at her unusual excitement being amused. She really is a good girl unlike the other classmates. We can be good friends, I think so.

My lunch box went empty in quite short amount of time because Lili ate half of my lunch. God did she love my mom's meals.
"Hey! You ate half of my lunch! You're gonna pay for it."
I joke plastering a smirk on my face. Then, her flawless features drop to the ground and she begins apologizing like a broken radio.
"I'm so sorry, Jo. I... I didn't intend to do that. I'm so sorry."
"Please don't apologize, Lili. I was just kidding! I'm also happy you liked my mom's cooking."
I assure her with gently caressing her trembling hands and feel her calming down stroke by stroke.
"But I still feel bad for you."
She apologetically murmurs.
"Ok. Then, why won't you buy me donuts and eat together at the mall this weekend?"
I suggest a plan which I come up with in a flash.
"That sounds good. I'm looking forward to it."
A genuine smile finally comes back to her face, which soothes my panic taken over me a minute ago when she got upset.
"Yeah, so am I. By the way, I think we'd better get going to next class so not to be late."
I tell her and she rises from her seat and starts walking to the counter to return the tray where filled with the empty plates and a glass juice is still in.
After wiping the corner of my mouth with a napkin, I was about to stand up to my feet when a huge sound hurt my ears. It seemed someone who was carrying a tray bumped into another or other way around. Looking up to Lili, I gasp as taking in the situation.

She was the one who collided with somebody. And that somebody was the last person you ever want to bump into...

Hero motherfucking Fiennes Tiffin.

She's. So. Dead.

🌻A.N.🌻
Thank you for reading!
I hope you'll read the next chapter, too :)

Kaia Gomez🦋