Chapter 29🌹

Josephine

"Did you eat lunch?"
He, out of nowhere, inquires.
"No."
I didn't even have breakfast, I cried out in my mind.
"Then come with me."
Is all he says as he pulls me toward the cafeteria where most of the students are currently crowding considering the time, I assume.

As soon as we step inside with him holding my wrist, all eyes are on us, burning my skin. Oh oh.
I wanted to jerk away from him but his grip is too tight for me to do it. He doesn't seem to care those attentions and goes down the room to climb the stairs to the F4 floor still not releasing me. I'm sure I was murdered a thousand times in the girls' head in this room within this ten seconds.

"What's up, guys."
Hero greets Gavin and Shane. They look surprised to see me with him but Gavin's expression turns into a smirk soon after. I'm uncomfortable here.

Two boys bring meals and put them in front of me. They are steaks, breads, salads, and corn soup. To say the least, they look so delicious that I almost drool.
"Here. Eat as much as you want."
He tells me.
"No, I'm fine."
Although I want to, I have the lunch my mum made for me so I decline.
"Why do you always refuse what I offer?"
He spits the familiar venom and I sigh at his immaturity.

"By the way, where were you yesterday? Shane and I went to your workplace but your friend told us you were off."
Gavin suddenly asks me.
I suck in a sharp breath as the memory from last night and this morning flooding into my head. Calm down, Jo. Conceal your panic.
"Well, I... I had something to do yesterday."
Ok. That wasn't too bad for me who's terrible at lying. I casually grab the glass in front of me and sip in order to slow down my racing heart.

"Wait. Were you hanging out with a guy?"
Bhgghhgghh.
Shane drops a bomb and I choke from the water in my mouth. I want to protest that it is anything but the truth, yet I can't, because one, I'm suffocating and two, it isn't utterly wrong considering the situation. I'm so fucked up!!

"Wow! You've just proved it it's true, Josephine! Damn, you're that kind of a girl even though you don't look like it. Hmm."
Gavin annoyingly pushes and I finally revive from the coughing mess.

"I am no..."
"She never is, you damn ass!!!!!!"
To my shock, Hero stands up from his chair and shouts at his mates.
"Even if it's you, sleep talking is supposed to be talked when you're in the LAMB sleep, idiots!"
What the heck does it mean??? We three have big question marks on our face.
LAMB sleep? Oh, did he want to say REM sleep? Oh man, Hero is a real, helpless idiot.

But he is an idiot, he did protect me and believed me while even I can't trust myself. And that means a lot to me now. I feel a small sting in my chest which is like a guilt. Wait. Why am I feeling guilty for him when he's nothing to me? I ask myself.
Because you like him. My stupid subconscious says, which is definitely nonsense. How could I like some asshole like him?? It's just impossible, right?

I breathe in and out as slowly as possible, but my stubborn heartbeat refuses to calm down in the end. Fuck you, my stupid heart!!!
I was cussing under my breath when I spotted the familiar face. Lili! However, she looks different from usual since she's glaring at me like I've done something wrong to her. Why is that?

She, then, turns around to the exit and disappears from my sight.
What did I do to her? No matter how many times I ask myself that, I get no answer. Maybe she was just unhappy because she's on her period? I hope so...

"I'll be so screwed up if he finds about it, Joey."
I whine to my best friend.
"But you didn't do anything, right?"
She asks and I frantically nod as though a bobblehead.
"Ok. I want to ask you one more thing."
She's so serious, which scares me a bit.
"What is it?"
Gulping I ask.
"You really don't like him, do you?"
I don't know why but I take an awkward pause before answering.
"Of course not!! How could I?"
I laugh more like too much as I avoid an eye contact with her. She, on the other hand, doesn't move an inch and just stares at me.