Chapter 34🌹

Gavin

"What do you mean she's dangerous?"
I get anxious hearing Shane's frantic voice on the phone. He's usually the calmest dude in our group.
"She was our classmate in elementary school!"
"Ok?"
I still don't know what he wants to say.
"Don't you get it? She was in our grade. She took a year off from school, Gavin!"
"How do you know that?"
I ask him in confusion.
"I picked up her handkerchief the other day and found a handmade bookmark in it. It looked like the ones we made when we were in 5th grade. So I looked up on her on our yearbook and figured out she looked completely different from now. Check this out."

With that, he sent me a photo. I can't help doing a double take —no, triple take— at it once I open the folder because on my screen is this girl ;

 I can't help doing a double take —no, triple take— at it once I open the folder because on my screen is this girl ;

"Are you kidding me? This girl cannot be her!"
Disbelief fills my words.
"I thought so, too. But when I looked at this picture, I remembered something."
"What is it?"
"Do you remember the day we made the handmade bookmarks? Our teacher told us to give what we made to someone we liked since it was Valentine's Day."
"Well, vaguely yeah."
I answer.
"At that time, a girl came to us and gave hers to Hero and we teased him about it, which made him mad as usual."
"Yeah?"
"Then, he threw it to the ground and pushed her away saying like 'Get away from me, you ugly bitch!' or something. He said 'ugly' to her like a thousand times. From the next day, she didn't come to school. And I think that girl was Lili Reinhart."
He sounds really sure about his theory. However, I'm not convinced yet. I mean, who does believe someone like the girl in this photo turned into a drool-worthy girl like her?

"It still doesn't make sense though. How do you explain her being in junior year now?"
I question him again.
"That was hard to find the answer but I think I did anyway."
I can clearly picture his smug face at the other end of this line and I feel the urge to scoff but let it go, thinking now is not a good time. I'm mature.
"Go on."
"What if she took a year off to have some plastic surgeries on her face? Considering her family's fortune, it's possible enough. The reason she is friends with Josephine could be because she wants to get close to Hero so to get revenge on him. Although it sounds crazy but perfectly makes sense. Don't you agree?"

As soon as convinced by him, a chill runs down to my spine as recalling Hero and Lili walking together earlier.
"Shit!!!! They were together earlier!"
"That's not good. We need to call him now."
He hangs up and I immediately dial Hero.

Probably, I called him at least a hundred times, getting no answer.
"Shit. Pick the fuck Hero!!!!"
I scream in irritation as greeted by the voicemail-lady again.

I've got a bad feeling about this.

————

Hero

Lili holds a chair to hit me. I'm wounded more than I've ever been now but I would gladly receive another pain if only I can protect her because she means everything to me. She is the only one I love.
Therefore, I close my eyes and grit my teeth for the impact. A dull sound echoes in the quiet room but I don't feel any soreness on my body to my surprise. Instead, however, a weak whimper is uttered above me soon after something warm wraps around me, making every nerve inside me fire at once.