Chspter 45🌹

Josephine

The phone rings once. Twice. Three times. Four times...
The more it rings, the more nervous I get. Is it too late? Hell. Pick up the phone, Hero!!! I pray and pray but the ringing keeps mocking me. After god-knows-how-many rings, the accented voice I badly want to hear right now sounds from the speaker.
"I'm out. Leave a message."
It's recorded, which means he didn't pick up. He didn't pick up even though he has never missed a call from me. Not a single one. He's really done with me. As soon as the thought comes to my mind, I feel the pit of my stomach is burning from acid while the air in my lungs knocked out. It hurts too much to not cry. A tear drop falls on my knee which is folded under my hip. As the salty water hits the skin, I finally realize how I truly feel about him.

I love him.

No, I admitted that I love him. Deep down I knew it from a while ago, yet my stubborn ass just ignored it and escaped from it the whole time. Because I was just scared to admit it to myself. With all the obstacles including our financial differences and his temper, I kept telling myself we would never work. But now that I might actually have lost him, I can't help but feel empty. It's like a part of my body was ripped away, leaving me bleeding. And it's killing me.
Am I really ok giving him up?, I ask myself. The answer is really simple and quick this time.

No way. Not anymore.

After a beep, I swallow non-existing saliva with my anxiety and speak.

"Hi. I called you because I wanted to apologize. I'm... I'm so sorry for how I behaved when what you did was nothing but protecting me. I was too selfish to notice your kindness. I hurt you so bad and I understand if you can't forgive me." My voice has got shaky and teary in a second.
"But I wanted to tell you that I'm so sorry because...um... because..."
I take a deep breath,
"because I like you, Hero."
There, I said it. You didn't say you love him, coward! My sassy subconscious smirks, which I raise my middle finger to. I don't need to tell him now, right?
"I hope you'll call me if you hear this message. Bye."

Ending the line, I exhale every bit of the air in my lungs. Now, I just have to believe in him and wait for his call.

————

Hero

What the fuck does he need to talk about at this point?

"Fuck you."
I was about to throw my phone when he catches my attention.
"It's about Jo."
As her name hears from the speaker, I feel as though all of my guts were compressed. My already damaged heart hurts more. I can't fucking speak, and he takes advantage of it.
"Meet me at Beverly Hills Park."
With that he hangs up. He sounded dead serious. And when something is related to Langford, my answer is only one even if I was angry or drunk though I'm both now ; I will do anything.
I stand up from the couch and walk out of my room, texting Shane and Gavin to come to the park now. Each step I take sobers me up.

*

I see that traitor's back standing at the center of the park and get out of my limo. My shoes make a sound as I walk, which lets him know my presence and turns his face to me. A deep scowl is plastered on my face yet he looks as calm as usual to my annoyance. However, his eyes are sharp unlike the rest of his features. I stop in front of him and glare. We are some feet apart. A complete silence envelope us while our intense gazes are fixed on one another. Neither of us dare to move an inch.
A few seconds pass like that before two limos pull over near us in a rush, emitting Shane and Gavin from each of them.
"What the fuck man?"
"Yeah, what'a going on here?"
They ask with running to us.

"What the fuck do you you want, Ross?"
I growl like a beast. He chuckles. Nothing is funny here, motherfucker!!!
"I wanted to tell you that my date with Jo was really fun."
Shane and Gavin suck in sharp breaths in shock since they didn't know it. His comment pours gasoline to my raging fire inside. Who the fuck does he think he is?
"Good for you but it's none of my goddamn business."
I lie. I will never show him my weakness.
"She's really awesome, you know? Especially, her pouty lips are exquisite."
I feel my body tense. Does that mean he kissed her today? Fuck!!!!!!! My flame is more fierce than that in hell. Unconsciously, I ball my fists. Seeing my state, he smiles the most fakest smile and continues,
"She's usually shy but gets really bold in bed, you know?"