Chapter 18🌹

Josephine

(Earlier than the last chapter)

Meeting Hero's sister was such an unique event, if I dare to name it, but I honestly liked it to my surprise. And I could forget about all my problems for a blink of an eye. However, the reality is not that sweet, as you know.

I came home after my work and put my bag on the desk, finding the handkerchief Ross had lent me last weekend. Ross... My heart immediately sank once I remembered his despaired face. I wondered if he felt better than before. Maybe I could check up on him if I go to our secret spot to return this handkerchief back tomorrow, I thought.

So now I'm here, walking the corridor heading to the fire escape to see him. God, I'm so nervous. Because my palms are sweaty, I even take a few seconds to turn the goddamn doorknob. Finally the door opens and I scan the sight before me seeking any signs of him, only to realize he's not here. While a half of me is sighing in relief, the other half is feeling sad not being able to meet him. I mindlessly run down the stairs and stop at the space between two floors since I feel like screaming right now. Inhaling deeply, I let out what's on my mind.
"I want to see you!!!"
Hmm, now I feel better.

"Who do you want to see, Jo?"
I literally jump in surprise hearing Ross's utterance all of sudden.
Where was he until now??? I mean, when did he come out in the first place??? This is too embarrassing!!
My mind becomes a mess as my face heats like a kettle. I'm sure I look like a tomato right now. He, on the other hand, raises one eyebrow urging me to answer. But how can I tell him the truth??? My brain works at its full speed to come up with a great excuse yet nothing comes out.

A complete silence has enveloped us for a few seconds when I suddenly feel his strong arms wrapped around my waist. I couldn't make out what was going on at first. However, when my brain catches up with the situation, I try to push him back because it feels wrong in some measure. Despite my feelings, I can't actually do it seeing him trembling like a little boy, looking for a comfort like this. Therefore, I hug him back instead, and gently rub his back hoping it will sooth his broken heart somewhat.

A few minutes later, he lets me go and his chocolate eyes meet the blue-gray ones of mine. Although he's not crying, the sorrow in his eyes is evident.
"What happened?"
I can't stop myself from asking anymore. He hesitates for some time but opens his mouth eventually.
"She... Selena is going back to Paris this weekend."
Now I get why he is down.
"I see... but are you going to do nothing for it?"
Then, he gives me a sad smile and says,
"She is so stubborn that no one can change her mind once she's decided something for herself, Jo."
"But, Ross, y..."
"Do you wanna see her?"
His unexpected question bursts in on me. I don't know what I should say to her if I face with her, but I nod my head in the end.

"Ms. Selena. Mr. Lynch and Ms. Langford are here."
The butler tells her who's sitting on a huge couch reading a book. She looks up from the book to see us and smiles at once.
"Hi! Good evening guys."
"Good evening Selena."
I cheerfully greet her.
"She says she wants to thank you for what you did at your welcome home party."
Ross explains as if nothing is wrong with him, which tightens my chest. I do know he's not ok with her leaving.
"Aww. You don't have to do that, Jo."
"Yes I do. Thank you so much."
I thank her again though she assured me not to.
"Where is your mom, Sel? I want to say hello to her."
"She's in her study. You know where it is, don't you?"
"Yeah, thanks."
With that, he goes out of the living room.

Roaming my eyes around her room, I notice her shelves as well as her closet are almost empty. She must be preparing for her departure. I feel a sting in my heart.
I'm not sure if she's aware of my sadness but she utters,
"I officially suspended myself from Flower university today."
"So you won't come back to America, will you?"
"I don't think I will. At least for a while."

I look away from her because I can't help it. When my gaze goes to her desk, they are fixed at a picture on it. In it is young version of Ross smiling as though the only thing that matters is the person behind the camera. And it's nobody but Selena. I've never seen him smiling as widely as in this photo. He's truly loved her for a long time. This realization makes me determine my mind.
I want to do something that might help him to be with her so that I can make him smile like this again.

"Please, don't go."
I blurt out out of nowhere, which stops her movement.
"What?"
"For Ross's sake, I'm begging to to stay here. I... I always see him when I go to the fire escape in our school. He was eagerly waiting for you to come back for a long time. And when he talks about you, he smiles such a tender smile like in this photo. But he became so fragile after you decided to go beck to Paris. I think he will lose a part of him if you leave him, Selena."
At this point, I am fully sobbing but I don't care.
"So please. Please don't go."
I know I don't make any sense. I also know I'm pathetic for begging someone who your crush loves not to leave him. Nevertheless, I don't want Ross to be unhappy. I want to protect him.

Only my sobs has echoed in this gigantic room before she hesitantly speaks.
"I'm sorry but I can't grant that wish for you, Jo. Because I don't want to regret anything I do. If I stay here, I will definitely cling to what-ifs for the rest of my life. And when you look at it in a long run, no one will get a happy ending from it, right? I believe following my heart will make not only me but someone else happy. I know it's difficult but I hope you'll understand that."
I can't find any room for arguing anymore since she is damn right. I completely lost.
Then, she hugs me with a warmth like she's telling me thank you.

"I'm sorry for overstepping."
After untangling our hug, I apologize.
"No. I was glad, to be honest. But I also have one wish for you, Jo."
And she carries on,
"Please take care of Ross."
Her words are heavy for me in contrast of their shortness. It's true that I like him, yet I can't help but run out of her room and head to the entrance.

When I finally see the front door, a hand grips my wrist.
"What are you doing?"
"What?"
"What was that earlier?"
Oh no. He heard it.
"N... nothing."
I stutter and he steps closer to me.
"Who asked you to do such a thing?"
His voice is calm yet I can tell there is a hint of anger in it.
"I... I did it for you, Ross."
"For me? It's none of your business, Jo. And you still did an unnecessary thing. You're unbelievable. Just go home. Go!"
He yells, which makes me sprint to outside.

His words shattered my heart even though it might be too selfish to think so. He said what I did for him was unnecessary. I was unnecessary for him. Now it was impossible for me to stop the tears to come out all the way home.

————

Hero

The image of her being in his arms is printed on my eyes, which kills me as fuck. I skipped all the classes today and head to the downtown because I can easily find motherfuckers to beat up there.

Punch after punch, kick after kick, I hoped this would make me forget about her. But no matter how many assholes I took down, she stayed in my fucked-up soul like a stain.

Why is it so hard to kick out one goddamn girl from my head? Why is this so painful to see her with someone else? Why the fuck is that?

I went back home with no scar as well as no hint for these fucking questions at long last.

🌻A.N.🌻
Thank you for reading!!
This chapter is kind of sad...
Now Josephine, Hero, and Ross are all stuck the darkness. What do you think will happen to them in the next chapter?
Stay tuned :)

Kaia Gomez🦋