Chapter 46🌹

Josephine

"What?! What do you mean you were fired? You've just got promoted last month!!!"
I ask him like a mad woman I am.
"Yeah, but when I went to the office this morning, I was summoned to the personnel department and told that I was fired."
"Did you ask them why?"
"Yes, but they said it was the final decision of the company and couldn't reveal any details. I don't understand why because I didn't do anything wrong."
My poor dad looks so confused and hurt that I can't help feeling sorry for him. How can someone who did nothing wrong get fired? That is unacceptable!! But can I change the company's decision by myself? No. Then, all we can do is one thing ; we stick together as a family. It's going to be alright if he finds a new job and the rest of us double our work shifts. Yes, it will be hard, but I know we can do it since my family are the best and love one another deeply.
"It's their loss that they fired you, dad. And we can make lives if you find another job and we all work more! Don't be disappointed in yourself! You're the best dad we can ask for."
I do my best to cheer him up. However, his face falls even more and guiltily starts without looking into my eyes as well as mum's and Kat's. I've got a feeling that something bad is coming from him mouth as I gulp. Please, don't be something too bad...

"Actually, I might have borrowed some money from someone..."
"What?!"
"What?!"
"What?!"
The Langford women snap at him, unpleasantly surprised. He lowers his head even more. Despite his tall frame, he looks the smallest of all at the time.
"How much are you in debt?"
Mum glares at him.
"Um...maybe 50 thousand?"
We all suck in sharp breaths. I really wish it was 50 thousand won instead of dollars. A sad wish though.
"And from whom did you borrow that?"
She pushes him, which makes him sweat like he's in sauna.
"Maybe from...um...a load shark, I think?"
What the hell?!?! He borrowed money illegally? What the fucking hell is that?!?!
5 million dollars is not the amount of money we can easily earn if we all four work really hard. And now that money was from load sharks, which means we are more serious trouble than I first thought.
Mum and Kat sigh in disbelief and shake their head in unison. They are so much alike when they're mad and simply ignore the person who made them angry.
"Why on earth did you do something so stupid?"
I scold him in place of mum. If he didn't have a good reason, it would be on the street he will be sleeping tonight.

He slowly looks up at me trying to read my thoughts.
"I borrowed the money so I can make it double in a horse racing to buy some nice Christmas presents for my beautiful wife and two daughters. Even though I lost in the bet, I was going to be able to pay it back to them with the bonus I was supposed to be given were I still the office manager. I'm so sorry, my loves."
He sincerely apologize and we all let out another sigh. Although it was wrong of him to have gone to those dangerous people, his purpose was to please us. And we can't blame him for that, can we? Plus, there is no point whining over something that's already happened.

"You're the kindest yet most foolish man I've ever met, Stephen."
Mum tells him in a softer tone. Looks like her anger has dissolved a bit thanks to his confession.
"I know, Elizabeth. I'm so so sorry."
"I'm disappointed in you, dad."
It's Kat, making him shrink more. However, she goes on,
"But we need to get through this as one team, ok? Otherwise, we are so screwed."
She casts a small smile for him. And I follow my sister,
"Yes, dad. We can make it if we are all in this together. We're family after all, right?"
Our words bring a smile back on his face along with tears. Looking at my mum, she's smiling at us, too, as though telling us that she's proud of who we've grown up into.
"You two are the most amazing women I know besides your mum, Kat and Jo. Thank you very much for being supportive like this. I'm so sorry and thank you."
Then, he hugs both of us. Soon after, mum joins us and we stay as that for a while, enjoying and cherishing each other's presence. We do have a huge problem in front of us, but with our bond there is nothing we can't overcome.