Chapter 37🌹

Hero

Now I'm with my wankers in my room and doing poker.
"This is fucking boring!"
I throw my cards to the table because I was losing this game, again. I hate losing.
"You're too weak at games, bro."
Gavin laughs.
"Fuck off."
I groan in frustration and lie back on my bed when my phone rings. The screen says "Langford" and I don't waste a nanosecond to answer the call.

"Hello?"
Shit! My voice sounded too happy. I fake-clear my throat to cover my cloud nine.
"What is it, Langford?"
Much better.
"Hey. Ummm... Are you free tomorrow?"
She asks sounding a little nervous. Why is she this nervous? Now I'm anxious, too.
"Yeah. Why?"
"I was wondering if we could, um... we could go on a double date with my friends?"
A double date? So she's practically asking me on a date right now????? Yesssssssss!!!!! This is my day!!!!! I don't know what the fuck is this "double date" is but I would go on a date even if it's triple or quadruple. I feel my face automatically turning into a full grin.
"Yeah. Whatever."
I reply like I don't give a shit about it instead of this enormous joy inside.
"So is that a yes?"
Her voice lightens up, which makes me imagine exactly what she's like on the other end of this call. Her blue-gray eyes must be shinning brighter than the stars. I would love to see them. Fuck, I would love to see her.

"How can you not interpret my answer as a yes, stupid?"
My twisted mouth pranks as always, which I'm sure will piss her off. And I'm right.
"What the hell, Hero?! You know what? Forget about what I said. Have a good nightmare."
"No, no, no, no, no!! I was just teasing you, ok? I'll come."
I quickly explain myself before she hangs up the phone like a beggar. There is no way I miss this opportunity.
She doesn't say anything. Is she that mad? Why did I say that in the first place? Shit!!
"I'm sorry. Ok?"
I'm pleading for her forgiveness at this point. I'm pathetic.
"Ok."
After sighing she says, and a relief washes over me. I managed to save my ass tonight.
"Cool. Text me the details later. Night."
Then, I hang up before she changes her mind because of my fucked up mouth again.

I'm going on a date with her. I'm going on a fucking date with her!!!! I'm so happy right now though I'd never felt happy since I can remember. This feeling is unfamiliar but not really uncomfortable. I don't hate it.

"Let's do another round!"
I suggest the assholes who were secretly ear-dropping my call with Langford.
"You've already lost enough money, bro."
Shane rolls his eyes.
"Shut up, Shane! The night has just begun."
And I start shuffling the cards with giggling and smiling crazily, which makes them entertained to my annoyance.
"Is it like you smokes the laughing gas or something?"
Gavin says, letting out a laugh.
"Better than that."
I just say so and shut my mouth still grinning like a whipped idiot that I am.

"What did Jo say?"
Out of nowhere, Ross asks in his usual calm tone. A small tornado appears in my heart once I hear him call her "Jo". It makes me feel like he's closer to her and it's really frustrating.
"She asked me on a date. She says she wants me to do a double date with her and her friends. Don't you think it's tiring?"
I sigh even though I never mean it.
"Then, can I go instead of you?"
He says matter-of-factly.
"What?!?!?!"
We three look at him at the same time in disbelief.
"I would love to go on a double date with her."
"Fuck no!! It can't be fun, so there's no need for you to go. And... and, um..."
I stutter out of panic. I feel cold sweat cover my forehead while my hands turn into fists. In my head is completely blank.

"Come on, I was just kidding."
Thankfully, Ross chuckles and a second later, Shane and Gavin join him though their eyes aren't really enjoying his crap joke. It takes me another few seconds to laugh, my voice coming out almost like a cough.
"Now, I gotta go."
And with that, he leaves my room as if nothing happened.
"So, another round?"
Shane's voice hears very subtly in my ears despite our actual distance. The same sentence is keeping running in my mind ; What the fuck was he thinking?? I cant help but feel something was behind Ross's words. And I hate it.