Chapter 49🌹

Josephine

"Ok... that was better. But you need to play more smoothly to win the contest."
Ross comments on my 100th attempt of mastering Canon in D by Johann Pachelbel.

It's been a week since the F4 and Mercy started "educating" me for the TOW and I think I've managed to acquire most of the required skills except for playing instruments. Hell, why am O this bad at it???? I believe I can sing at least as well as ordinary people. Nonetheless, I can't move my god damn fingers as I wish on any kind of instruments. I tried everything that's called so including even the ocarina which looks like just an odd shaped pottery to me.
I was worst at violin. And when I played it for the first time, I made Hero who was fast asleep on the couch in the nest room wake up with a nightmare. Do you think it's too exaggerated? Go ask Hero...
On the other hand, my playing the piano was the least torturous for them to listen to so we decided that I would practice piano.

"Why don't you play it again from the top, Jo?"
I nod yes to Ross's suggestion and start tapping the keys though I've already lost the sensations of my fingers. The first 10 seconds were not bad but then, my numb pinky misses the right keyboard, blowing up everything. Soon, Hero, Ross and I let out a sigh in disappointment. I'm really resentful at my lack of musical sense at this point.
"You have to focus more, Langford! Otherwise, you will never be able to compete with them!! Are you aware that we have only three more days till the contest?"
Frustratedly standing up from the couch, Hero runs his fingers through his hair, which hurts my heart. It's true that I'm doing my best. Nevertheless, my fingers are not following my orders for God's sake.
"I'm doing my best, Hero!"
I can't help but yell at him to defend myself. I know he's trying to help me but his words hurt me at the same time.
"Just play it again if you have time to argue with me!!"
We glare at each other with flaring our nostrils as though buffaloes. He's unreasonably mean to me because this is my first time ever to play the piano. No one can do something they are not familiar with well, right? Just that he can do anything like a professional doesn't mean he can expect others to be the same as him.
"Chill out, guys. Jo, play it again."
Sighing, Ross intercede us as usual. Recently, Hero and I are like this and have been colliding continuously. Although I know this is just temporary thing, I'm still sad that we are fighting everyday.

"Sorry, Ross. Ok."
With that, I restart, breaking the eye contact with Hero. My voice sounds too sad to remain unnoticed.

*

I'm beyond exhausted when today's lesson finally comes to an end. But I can't just go home as I desperately want to since I need to work for my family. Being poor really sucks.
Thankfully, Hero has his driver drive me to the mall, so I can sleep for a little while.
"Ms. Langford."
Someone says while shaking my shoulder gently.
"Mmm..."
I groan. But a few seconds later, I come back from unconsciousness and realize it's the driver that's trying to wake me up and we've arrived at the destination.
"Oh...! Sorry. Thank you for the ride."
Quickly I get up, wiping the drool at the corner of my mouth, and thank him as I get out of the limo.
"No problem."
He bows a bit, goes back to the car and takes off.

The yogurtland is located near the mall entrance, which means I can walk there in a minute from here. As I get closer to my workplace, however, I see a few men in suits leave the store while Scarlett, my boss, and Joey follow them from behind crying.
"Don't do this to us, please! Why did you suddenly decide to close this shop? Did we do something?"
Scarlett screams.
What the hell is going on??
Ignoring her cry, they keep their way to their car and drives off as if it's nothing. I immediately run up to where she and my best friend stand with a scowl.
"What happened? Who were they?"
I ask them in confusion and concern. Joey looks up to me with sad eyes and states,
"We are all fired, Jo, because this shop is going to be closed."
"What?! No! We were doing ok, weren't we? Why is that??"
No no no no no!! This can't be happening!
I try hard to come up with why they decided to close this shop all of a sudden. Then something hits me like an iceberg. All the blood is drained from my body in a second.
It must be Hero's mother who did this.
It's unbelievable that she even harms my colleagues in order to take me down. Doesn't she have a conscience? Or a moral? Who would ever go this far?
My mind is clouded with fury right now but one thing is so clear in my head ; I need to fix this for Scarlett and Joey.