Chapter 42🌹

Josephine

Before I know it, I've already untangled myself from Ross's hold. My heart is drumming my chest wall fast and hard in an uncomfortable rhythm. This is bad.
"So this is your answer. I got it."
Hero mumbles and in no time he's gone. His low voice unexpectedly slices me. I did tell him I will never have anything to do with him, but now I know it was just my anger speaking and not my true feeling. Thinking about loosing any contact with him actually hurts me so damn much though it probably what will happen from now on.
Why did I say that to him? Why did I let Roos embrace me like that? Why did Hero have to find us? And of all, why is it this painful? My eyes start burning with unshed tears immediately and I quickly face away from Ross who's silently standing next to me.
"H...he always jumps into conclusions, don't you agree?"
I manage to let out a laugh. Ross remains quiet for another beat and finally speaks.
"I wonder if that's so."
"What?"
He caught me off guard second time today. Turning back, I find him with a small smile on his face. It's almost the same smile he does but looks sadder, which confuses me. Without another word he goes up the stairs and disappears into the building. In the end, I'm left hurt and dumbfounded at the fire escape alone.

*

I don't know how long I've been standing on the same spot with discarding tears of regret before the bell rings. Shit. I need to go to class.
Although I don't feel like doing anything let alone studying, I also don't want want to fail in exams. So I forcefully move my legs to walk upstairs and into the building. As I wipe the tears  on my cheeks with tissues and throw them into the trash bin, I find the iPhone inside it. Hero must have thrown this away after he found Ross and me.
He shed it. He shed his feelings for me.
The realization chokes me while it should relieve me in fact. Why do I feel this way? This is what I wanted, right? Despite the voice in my head, I slowly extend my arm and pick the iPhone lifelessly lying at the bottom of the bin all by itself. Just like me. I hold it tightly to my chest and don't care the salty water that never stop running down my cheeks at this point.

————

Hero

"Mr. Tiffin! Good morni..."
Punch. Yes, this feels better.
My fist has become the greeting again from today just as before. Before she changed me. A split second when I beat up assholes, I can escape from her. From her smile. From her smart mouth. From her entire existence. But it doesn't last long and soon she invades my brain. Fuck!!!!!!!
So I knock down everyone that comes into my sight in the cafeteria just to forget about her even though I know fucking well it's impossible. I just can't tolerate this pain anymore.
"Hey, hey, man! What's wrong?!"
Shane and Gavin our of nowhere come to me and tear me from the douchebag groaning underneath.
"Fuck off!!"
I scream as my hands voluntarily run through my hair.
"Hero."
It's his voice that catches my attention. Looking up, I find Ross standing at the entrance. That fucker. I hate him more than anyone now.
"Gavin. Shane. As of today, we'll never speak to Ross again."
I face Gavin and Shane and state.
"What?"
"What the hell are you talking about?"
They are clearly confused, which I don't give a fuck. This is not an asking but an order.
"He's neither our friend nor in F4. Just a traitor."
Every single life in this room including the rats behind the walls sucks in a harsh breath with that leaving my mouth. Because it means the F4 has officially ended.

————

Josephine

Looking up the ceiling in my room, I think about Hero. I know this is ridiculous and stupid but I can't stop. I can't help remembering his face when he saw me with Ross this morning. Another sigh escapes my mouth.
Then, a ring from my phone startles me and brings me back from that green-eyed asshole. Looking at the screen I gasp. It's from Ross.
"Hello...?"
Hesitantly I answer. I haven't wrapped my head around his behavior from earlier yet. Gush. I can hear my heartbeat in my ears.
"Hey, Jo."
He sounds just as usual himself and it surprisingly relaxes me. I let out a sigh of relief.
"Hi. Um...what's up?"
"You still sound off."
My pulse quickens.
"W...what? Do I?"
Nervously I stutter. Good job, Jo. You nailed it. Ugh.
"Are you concerned about him?"
His question sticks me to the core of my heart, knowing his referring to Hero. Of corse I am concerned about him. Because who wouldn't be after seeing that face? And I recall his face again, which pulls me back to under the sea. I hate this. No matter how painful I'm feeling right now, this is my problem and Ross doesn't have to know it. Especially now that he was kicked out of F4, I don't want to bother him further.
"No! Of corse not!"
Thus I say so instead.
"Then, why are you upset?"
Jeez, he's not buying it. Damn it.
"Well, because I'm mad at him. Yes, I'm furious."
An agonizing silence later, he finally stops digging me. Thank god.
"Jo?"
"Yes?"
"Why don't we go on a date tomorrow?"
"What?!"
My voice gets loud. Is he kidding? What the hell is he thinking?
"You don't want to because you like him?"