Chapter 41🌹

Hero

My mates are playing Mahjong behind me. The moment my sister left my room, these wankers came in despite my mood.
"Hey, Hero! Are you sure you won't play?"
Gavin says.
"I'm sure."
Looking at the complete black sky spread outside the window, I think about Langford's face I saw before I left the zoo. Her blue-gray eyes were dull and looked disappointed in me. And I feel like shit about that. She was starting to trust be and I ruined it. Fuck. Moreover, Mercy's words keep echoing in my head.

"Look, my dearest younger brother. You will lose her if you don't get a good hold of her heart. Don't make the same mistake as me. Because the real enemy is not the outsider but the insider."

I know my mother. She's the cruelest and the coldest animal on this planet, which means she would do anything to separate us. Can I bear being apart from her? Can I breathe without seeing her smile? I ask myself. And just thinking about it makes me nauseous and clench my heart. Definitely not can I stand it.
I have to win her back.
So I fish my phone from my back pocket and call her, taking a deep breath.
Please pick up, Langford. I pray for Jesus to Buddha even though I'm not religious at all.
But to my biggest wonder, the familiar Darth Vader's song which I set for her sounds from behind me.
Why?????
There is no way that iPhone is in my room now because it's with her, isn't it? I turn around to see the guys behind to look for any clue, only to be more confused than ever. The phone is held in Ross's hand which is stretched toward me.

"Why? Why do you have that?"
Confusion, astonishment and anger mix in my tone.
Ross looks me in the eye and states,
"I went to Jo's place last night and she dropped it."
All the blood drained from my face as I recall Langford said she left it at her home today. She lied to me. She fucking lied to me!!! Then another thing hits me; was he with her when I called her last night, too? She clarified that she was alone at that time. Was it a lie as well?
"Were you... were you with her when I called her?"
I gulp and ask him in an unintended shaky voice.
Say no, Ross. Say no, Ross.

The reality, however, is fucked up after all.
"Yes, I was."
He flashed a small smile as if it's nothing and leaves the room after placing the phone in front of me.
So it was another lie then. I see the whole world lose its color and turn into monotone.
She betrayed me was the first thing that comes up to my mind. But the hopeful, miserable idiot in me still believes that she had a good reason for those lies; Maybe she just try not to upset me? On the other hand, the very rational part of me scoffs; How would she see Ross even if she doesn't have feelings for him anymore?
Fuck. Are they a thing now? Have I been blind?
The ache in my chest worsens as time passes.
The only hope that's still keeping me from outburst is that Ross and Selena are madly in love with each other.

"Hero!! Look at this!"
Shane suddenly hands me his phone and the last hope has been vanished. On the screen in the article which says, 'Selena Gomez Engaged To Harry Styles'. What the fuck is going on in this world?
My sight changes from black and white to red. Fists are set at my sides and my jaw is clenching when that bloody iPhone rings again. It must be Langford who's calling. I take it though I'm fucking mad at her.
"What?"
It's more like a growl rather than a word.
"Come to the cafeteria tomorrow morning and let's talk about today's incident."
She sounds off. Probably she's angry at my behavior at the zoo.
I don't say anything in response and a silence dominates the line. She breaks the quietness first.
"I'll be there, bye."
And she hangs up. I sigh, frustrated.
Why should I go talk to her when she told me lies? I repeat this a thousand times as stupid heart wants an explanation from her.
I run my fingers through my hair.