Chapter 36🌹

Hero

"I heard you're into some poor girl who doesn't deserve you, Hero."
My mom starts on the breakfast table.
"So what?"
I huff, obviously frustrated.
"I don't mind if she's just a fling of yours."
She emphasizes that fucking word.
"She's not such a thing. She's who I love for fuck's sake."
"Love?"
She lets out a cold laugh.
"Are you kidding me while our holdings are in a clinical situation?"
"Unfortunately, my shitty mother didn't raise me to make jokes."
I shoot a glare at her as if to cover my unhealed wound she left on me once upon a time.
"You're gonna regret it."
With that, she rises up from her chair and get out of the dinning room, which reminds me of my childhood.

————

Josephine

What did he say??
"Do you want to be my girlfriend?"
I heard so. Or maybe my stupid brain made it up... or not. I don't know I'm panicking!!!!!!

While my mouth can't coordinate any word, Ross slowly steps closer to me and continues,
"Are you really daring with Hero?"
"It's... um... it's not like that. He's just saying."
My throat is unbelievably dry right now.
"Thought so."
A small smile appears at the corner of his lips.
"To tell the truth, I've always had my eyes on you."
His confession is the last thing that crossed my mind. I'm literally at a loss for words.
"Am I not good enough for you?"
One more step he takes, leaving a few inches between our faces. My breath hitches.
"Just forget about Hero. And be mine, won't you?"
I can't think clearly now since his face is too close. Yet, there's something inside me that says this is not what I want. That he's not for whom my heart quickens its beat. Before I realize, my body has already made a move, taking a step back to gain more space between us.

My eyes meet his mysterious ones, feeling bad for lightly rejecting him. A second of eye contact later, however, he starts laughing almost too exaggeratingly.
"That was just a joke."
He says.
"Hero is my best friend. Why would I betray him? Nevertheless, you took it serious. You're funny, Jo."
This is so low, which is not what the Ross I know would do. I honestly don't know who he has become while he was gone. Maybe it was just I hardly know him from scratch. I don't know.

"You're such a jerk."
I tell him.
"What? You were disappointed it was just a joke?"
Irritated, I reply with glaring at him.
"Not at all!"
He towers his toned body and meet with my eyes again.
"Then... why don't we see each other in secret?"
His tone is seductive enough for me to suck in a harsh breath. His warm breath is felt on my cheeks and my heart is hammering my chest. Why am I this nervous while he's just making another low joke? As if reminding myself of it, I do the fakest laugh that would match perfectly with his crappiest joke.
"HAHAHAHAHA. That is so funny that my stomach hurts. So, I gave that handkerchief back to you right and I'm going. Bye."

I run up the stairs and open the door much likely to run away from him.
"Hey, Jo."
The moment I was about to enter the building, he calls me.
"Yeah?"
"You look prettier that before."
He compliments me.
What the hell? What is going on in his head? I feel like I don't even know him anymore. Or maybe I didn't know him at all from the beginning.
"Thanks."
is all I say and restart running to my classroom, never stopping till I reach there.

*

I'm eating my lunch in the cafeteria alone now and my brain has been filled with Ross since this morning. What changed him like that? What happened him? I was almost terrified thinking he's closed himself in a shell.
Therefore, I almost jump up in surprise when Darth Vader song comes from my iPhone. It's from " Sir Hero".

"Hello?"
"I moved the furniture I sent over to my house."
He says. Although he didn't greet me, I don't complain because he removed one of the bothering problems anyway.
"Oh, thanks."
"Langford."
His voice sounds serious and I tense a bit.
"Yes?"
"If you notice something strange happening around you, tell me right away, ok?"
"What do you mean 'something strange'?"
"Whatever you think is strange. You got it?"
He has authority in his words and I automatically agree with it and hung up.
I can't shake off the feeling that something bad is going to happen sooner or later.

*

"That sounds scary."
Once I tell Joey about Hero's skeptical warning, she comments so.
"I know..."
I sigh for the hundredth time today. I'm sure I look unhappiest person at the moment. We're working at the Yogurtland as usual now.

"Hey, Jo! There's such a beautiful woman at the front door!"
Joey suddenly nudges me by the elbow.
"What?"
Turning around, I take in her presence and immediately recognize who she is. Mercy.
"Good evening, Jo."
She says.
"Good evening, Mercy."
"I just came back to LA again today and I'm wondering if we could have dinner tonight."
She smiles with the dimples which look too familiar to me.
"Um... sure. Will you wait for me until I finish my shift, please?"
"You don't have to worry about your job tonight because I'm buying all of these frozen yogurt now!"
"What really?!"
"Yeah, of course! I would do anything for my future sister."
Winking, she tells me. These rich people are just unpredictable as I said before. Also, her words "future sister" brought some feeling I'm not quite sure what it is to my mind. But I leave it aside for now.

In half an hour, we're already seated at the gorgeous table in a fancy restaurant. Joey came along with us because Mercy was generous enough to invite her as well.
The waiter brings us our dishes and my mouth waters as soon as I lay my eyes on the food. It's a steak on top of which is foie gras. Looking next to me, I see Joey in the same state as me.
"My mother,"
She begins,
"She's savage and cold blooded person even though she's my mother. And she'll do anything to make things as she wants."
Now I think I get why Hero warned me like that earlier.
"Now I see why Hero was weird this afternoon."
When I say his name, her smile blooms brighter like she found a sun which would illuminate the dark.
"Hero seems really serious about you."
There is no doubt in her tone.
"See? You should leap right into his arms, Jo!"
Joey states.
"But..."
"It's ok if you can't reciprocate his feelings for you. But if you have any feelings for him at all, don't forget that you have all my support."
She, then, looks at the air and goes on.
"He changed a lot lately. He became more more honest and mature, you know? And I'm sure that's because of you, Jo."
"But I'm too poor for Fiennes Tiffins as you can see."
I tell her even though her words somehow sank into me deeper than they were supposed to.
"If he's really into you, he will try to fit in with us, I suppose."
Joey says.
"Exactly. You're Joey, right? Do you have a boyfriend?"
"Um... yeah."
"Then, why don't we test whether he can be suitable for you?"
I contemplate her suggestion. Mercy might have a point. This could be a good way to find out if we can make things work out.
Looking into her eyes, I nod before I change my mind.

🌻A. N. 🌻

Thank you for reading!!
Next chapter will be about Hero's "test"😉
Do you think Jo will admit that Hero can suit himself to the normal people? Find it out in the next chapter🤡
Stay tuned!

Kaia Gomez🦋