Chapter 3: The Fight in the Forest

"W-what's going on?!" Purple flashes blinded the boys vision as he kept getting his neck ripped apart.

"We have to get there as quickly as possible!" Subaru and Ram hurry to the village after learning that the dog that played with the children was responsible for the curse. With the air being humid, Subaru was a little quick to start loosing breath. Ram looked over at him "Barusu, now is not the time to become tired and useless!". Subaru breaths heavily. "Thanks a lot, that's totally encouraging!". Nearing the village, the two see lights lit by a torch moving in the distance. Something must have happened in order for the villagers to be up this late at night with torches. The two don't stop running, as they approach one of the panicked looking villagers "Was I too late?" "What happened?" Subaru and Ram blurt out at the same time. The villager looks at the two with a worried face. "It's terrible.. Several of the village children went missing!".

Remembering the forest the child pointed at, Subaru looks up to the almost pitch black entrance of the forest. "Ram, lets go!" He says with no fear as he runs toward the entrance with her. As they entered, Ram looked at one of the trees and exclaimed "The barrier's been broken!" Subaru fell into a fearful sweat. "What does that mean?" Ram seeing Subaru tense up, she looks back at him saying "You truly are stupid, Barusu. Anyways, it means mabeasts can enter the village." Expecting another question, Ram receives one as she predicted "Mabeasts?". She responds, "They're beasts of the witches creation." Subaru looks away from Rams gaze. "Where are we going? Are we just running in one direction without knowing where we are? We have to go and save those children!". Ram yells back, "I have a good sense of smell, so I can smell the beasts!" She refrains from explaining.

After a little bit more running, Ram asks a question "Let me ask you this Barusu; Are you good at fighting?" Subaru squints his eyes at the maid. "That'd have to be a no." He says with a monotone voice. Ram scoffs, "You truly are completely useless, Barusu." Subaru blushes as he thinks to himself "How can she act like this in such a serious situation?".

Ram and Subaru hurry through the forest, and Ram stops and perks up "I can smell living creatures, one that is not of a beast!" Ram leads Subaru in the direction of the smell. Subaru exclaims "Hey! There's the children! Up ahead!". The two run up the grassy hill in the large field surrounded by forest. Subaru puts his hand near one of their noses, and feels breathing. With a bit of relief, Subaru notices dog bits along several parts of their bodies "They're still alive! But, it seems like they've been bitten.. Ram, are you able to remove the curses?" Ram walks over to Subaru. "I'm afraid I can't, we will take them to Beatrice." Subaru quickly looks back down at the child. A girl with short orange hair. Her eyes were slowly opening as Subaru exclaims "Hey Petra! You're awake! Don't move, we'll bring you back to the village where you can say goodbye to the pain."  Petra slowly says "Onis.."

"Huh?"

"Onis... Still... in... the"

Subaru coming to the realization, he recounts the children in the group of many that were passed out. "She's right! I don't see the little girl with the braids anywhere!" Ram looks over to Subaru frantically "Barusu, do not go into that forest alone. I'd never find you!" Subaru squints his eyes looking away.

"Again?! With the sudden shout for me?! There's no doubt about it.. Good grief, I cant be thinking about this right now!" He thinks to himself as he gets up from squatting. "Alright then, what do you suppose we do? Petra was putting her friend before her! We can't just let them die!" Ram shows no response. After a short pause of them standing there, she replies. "If you insist, I guess I will go with you." Subaru comes to a quick realization. "What about the childre-"

"Ram has already called me, I suppose"

Subaru getting cut off, he blurts out "How did she-". Ram interrupts, "I will explain later, Barusu" Ram grabs Subaru's hand and yanks him into a sprint with her. "Which way do you think she is?" Subaru asks Ram. "I'll have to use my clairvoyance for that." Subaru yet again confused, "Your what now?". Ram rolls her eyes, "My clairvoyance. It allows me to see what other animals are seeing, I called lady Beatrice by connecting to a cockroach that she was just about to step on. After she stepped on it, she must have noticed the type of magic that was interrupted and followed suit." Subaru raises his eyebrows, "Wow! so like they act as your security cameras?" Ram responds, "Please shut up for a moment while I use my clairvoyance Barusu." Subaru thinks to himself, "So cold!"