Chapter 27: Manipulating Emotions

MAJOR ARC 5 SPOILERS ONCE AGAIN

Subaru looked down at the person approaching them. They were covered head to toe in bandages, with their eye and mouth peeking out from gaps in the bandages. Looking up at the figure, he was able to tell that they were female due to their chest size.

Subaru also heard the sound of light chains clanking, and noticed that there were chains bound to her wrists. A chill went down his spine, as he clenched his fists with anger. Everyone else around him tensed up as she spoke again.

"You and you there, and that person over there, and you there too. I'm sorry, but please don't be so angry. I'm very sorry to take up everyone's time. Sorry, and thank you." She raised her hands and pointed them at the various people that were looking at her in the carriage. Somehow, she was able to tell everyone was at least somewhat angry.

"H-huh?!" Subaru was dumbstruck. How did she know he was angry? All he did was clench his fists. Subaru then remembered the second time him and Elsa met, back in the slums. She was able to see Subaru's emotions like they were written on him.

"Could it be some sort of ability of hers?" Subaru was left with his thoughts as Rem spoke. "Who are you?" Rem rather calmly shouted at the figure. "Oh, that's right, I haven't introduced myself!"

The bandaged figure smiled.. "I am the Witch Cult's Sin Archbishop of Wrath; I am called Sirius Romanee-Conti!" Subaru was shocked at the mention of her surname. He gasped, exclaiming. "H-huh?! That's the same surname as that bastard Betelgeuse!"

Subaru could tell that Sirius had some sort of relation to Betelgeuse. However, Betelgeuse was a spirit. Because of this, there was no way they could be family by blood. Subaru knew that Lye and Regulus didn't share that surname. With even more thoughts running through his mind, he snapped away from his dazed and confused state.

Subaru felt angry knowing that Sirius had relation to one of the Sin Archbishops that caused him so much pain and suffering. Suddenly, the anger stopped. In an instant, the rage simply vanished from him. Subaru felt rather calm, as if he had no need to feel angry in the first place. With another smile on her face, Sirius spoke.

"Why don't you people come here?"

Subaru had his attention focused only on Sirius. Even if he wanted to, he could not turn to Otto or Ram. Unconsciously, he began to dismount the carriage. He heard the others also dismounting along with him. Sirius smiled at them, as she led the group along.

Sirius led them inside a large, circular like city in the middle of the lake. Not remembering a route they took through the strange city, Subaru saw a crowd of civilians, who showed no intention of malice, just like him and the others. Above them, Subaru saw a small child covered in chains. He wanted to do something, but his body simply wouldn't allow him to.

Feeling his consciousness coming back to him slowly, he turned to his left to see a rather tense Reinhard. "Reinhard, what's going on?!" Subaru asked the red-haired knight that was beside him. He put his arm in front of Subaru, stepping forward. "Subaru, I need you to step back!"

Somehow, Reinhard seemed to be partially unaffected by Sirius' ability. However, Subaru still had no control of his emotions. He still was able to turn, however. Turning his head to look behind him, he saw the others. They all looked sleepy, as if they were daydreaming. It was as if Sirius was forcing them to stay.

There was a lot of commotion in the crowd, from mumbling people. Sirius made her way in front of the group as everyone suddenly fell quiet.

"Alright, that's enough!" her voice spoke once again. For some reason, Subaru did not feel she acted like your average Sin Archbishop. She was rather apologetic for taking up people's time, but whatever she was doing required their attention.