Chapter 4: Contracted

Subaru awakens in the familiar bed he knows well by now. He looks over to Ram who's near the left side of his bed.

"Barusu, have you awoken?" Subaru sits up with no hesitation, responding "Yes, I'm awake Ram.". Ram quickly asks, "Are you ready to do today's daily tasks?". Subaru rolls his eyes, expecting this. "Jeez, at least let me wake up a little bit...". Ram gives him the same smirk. "Quit being so useless Barusu." She exits the room, saying "I'll be waiting for you outside".

Subaru waits for the door to close, and grabs his head. "Wh-what the hell just happened?! I got killed not once, but three times? What are those purple flashes?" Subaru cant wrap his mind around what happened. "Well the more important part is Rem, how am I going to stop her from trying go assassinate me?!" Subaru gets changed and goes to the bathroom to brush his teeth. He runs into a familiar face, however.

"Emilia! aaaaaand?" Subaru gets confused to see a tiny floating cat accompanying her. "Puck!" The cat speaks. "He can speak?!" Subaru yells as Emilia laughs. "Yes Subaru, it's my contracted spirit" Subaru looks at the cat. "What are spirits and how do you get one?" Subaru asks. "Well, me and Beatrice are spirits, so we make contracts with people and we basically protect them with our lives!" Puck explains. "Beatrice is a spirit?!" Subaru is suprised by this, as he thinks of an idea. He parts ways with Emilia and Puck, being in a rush to get to work.

Subaru quickly pays a visit to the forbidden library before going to the courtyard to meet with Ram and Rem. Upon entrance, he sees Beatrice reading a black book, as expected. She looks up from the book. "What do you want now I suppose?". He greets her, "Yo, Beatrice. I have a favor I'd like to ask of you." Beatrice makes an aggravated face. "And why should I do something for you, I suppose?"

"You didn't even let me ask...." Subaru says, squinting his eyes. "Fine... Let's hear it I suppose." Beatrice responds.
After taking a breath in, Subaru proceeds, "I want you to protect me for a while. I don't know what's going on but I don't feel entirely safe with the maid sisters, Rem especially. It seems like she is highly suspicious of me."

Beatrice's eyes gleam, hearing Subaru's proposal gave Beatrice a hopeful look. "Fine, I'll grant your nonsense favor I suppose. Hold out your hand." Beatrice grabs Subaru's hand. "I can only pray I don't get attacked again" He thinks to himself. "I, Beatrice, on my honor, am henceforth bound to this contract. Temporary or not, a contract must be upheld." Subaru looks down at her and smiles. "Thanks Beako!" Beatrice pouts, "What did you just call me?" Subaru explains, "Oh, Beako. It's just a nickname." Beatrice scoffs, rolling her eyes. "What a ridiculous display of good will I suppose."

"Thanks a lot!" He grabs the door handle to exit, but he comes to realize Beatrice is standing behind him. "Since the contract has been formed, I cant leave your side, I must insure that you are safe, I suppose." Subaru looks down at her and nods. "That's even better!" He thinks to himself. They proceed to the courtyard.

"To the village? What for?" Ram asks Subaru, tilting her head slightly. "Why not? Do we have any plans to get supplies there? It never hurts to stock up sooner!" Subaru painfully explains again. Ram perks up, "You do have a good point. I shall accompany you however." Subaru looks over at Rem, who is glaring at him. Subaru gets a chill down his spine. "What about Rem? Is she coming along?"

Rem shakes herself out of her glaring state. "No thank you, I'll stay here." She responds with a quick and forced smile.

Subaru, Ram, and Beatrice make their way to the path leading to the village. "What is Lady Beatrice doing here, Barusu?" Ram asks Subaru. "I'm contracted with her, shes here to ensure that I'm safe." Ram scoffs, "You really are useless, Barusu" Beatrice interjects. "All this walking is tiring my precious legs, I suppose." She looks up at Subaru. "Will you be of assistance, I wonder?" Subaru looks down at her with a feeling of menace. "Y-you want me to let you ride my back?" Beatrice fiddles with her hair. "Yes, is that a problem I suppose?" Subaru sighs as he picks up the loli and let's her piggyback him. "There's some use out of you, Barusu" Ram looks back at him, with an evil smirk on her face. "Ugh, I'm the one ending up assisting the spirit I contracted with."