Chapter 36: Facing Reality

Subaru stood in shock at the Witch's words. "A coma?"

He didn't know what to think at the moment. A sense of relief and fear washed over him.

"At least all of what I saw was a dream…"

Subaru sighed and focused back on the situation. Who is this self-proclaimed “Witch”? How does she know that he's in a coma right now?

"Agh, Dammit! Alright, fine!"

Hesitantly, Subaru walks over to the table in a rather irritated manner, plops down on a chair, and gulps the cup of tea that had been left at where he was sitting.

"Well, you're quite brave, aren't you? Gulping down an entire tea that has been served by a witch," Echidna tells Subaru, to which the latter smirked and then responds.

"If you really intended to kill me, then I'd already be reduced to ash right now. What kind of tea is this anyway? It's a little bit bland..."

He was confident that if Echidna wanted to kill him, it would have been done long ago, meaning she most likely would at least keep him alive for now.

Responding to Subaru's request, Echidna begins speaking. "It's something that's produced here. To put it simply, it's a body fluid of mine."

Hearing those words, Subaru hastily slams his hand on the table out of disgust and anger. He knew exactly what she meant by body fluid.

"What the hell did I just drink?!"

Met by Subaru's anger was laughter from Echidna, as if she was mocking him.

"You truly are a fascinating person. In fact, why not tell me about how you got into a coma in the first place?"

Seeing as Subaru will have nothing else to do with his time in a coma, he reluctantly agrees.

"I was rushing towards a friend who had his limb taken clean off, when the wound healed itself and I fell unconscious. Are you happy now?"

Changing her expression from a smirk to a rather serious one, she responds.

"I see. Some time over the last few days, you killed the one possessing the Lust Witch Factor, didn't you? At the time of their death, the Witch Factor chose you to be its new dwelling. You must have activated its power at that very moment, causing you to fall unconscious. It's also how I could bring you here," Echidna explained.

"I see. Now, if you don't mind me asking, when will I wake up?" Subaru queried.

"I'm afraid I can't answer that," Echidna said, a slight smile forming on her face.

Sitting quietly on the table, Subaru stares at Echidna, waiting to get out of his coma, when she asks a question out of nowhere,

"So, you've become "that person" for Beatrice, is that correct?" Echidna suddenly asks Subaru, which puts him in a state of confusion.

"Huh?" Subaru questions, puzzled.

"I see, then let me put it in simpler terms. Have you formed a contract with Beatrice?" Echidna asks Subaru a slightly more simple version of her question.

"I have. And what business do you have with Beako?" Subaru responds.

"You could say I'm her mother. After all, I did create her. It seems she's finally found that person after all."

Shocked at Echidna revealing Beatrice's origins, his curiosity spiked.

"H-how did you create Beako?" Subaru asks.