Chapter 32: Calm after the Storm

Subaru stares down at the red-carpeted floor of the city hall. His hand laid over his chest, as he washes with relief. Looking up, he notices minor rubble falling from different areas, due to Reinhard's large attack. Thankfully, everyone seemed to be fine. Beatrice and Emilia were going around, healing the injured.

"What now? They're all dead, right?"

Subaru asks this to Reinhard, who is picking up scattered rubble. "It would appear so. How about we stay at a hotel, just incase if there are any left?" Subaru hears this and nods accordingly. "Sure!"

Subaru completely forgot about one thing. "Ram!" He looks around, searching for any sign of her. Thankfully, she is accompanying Rem, who is being healed from having taken slight injuries after Reinhard's large attack.

A high pitched voice interferes the conversation in between the two.

"If you insist, then I have no choice, I suppose. Hmph!" Subaru looks down to see Beatrice tugging on his sleeve. He smiles. "Don't be so down, Beako!" She shows her usual pouty face towards Subaru's teasing.

"Welcome! What may I do for you?" The recipient woman asked the red haired knight. "We would like five rooms, please." Reinhard explained. She smiled. "Coming right up!" Reinhard grabs his wallet and hands the person at the desk a load of coins. "Thank you very much sir! Here are your cards!" With that, Reinhard retrieved the cards to their rooms.

Everyone entered the lobby of the hotel, except Otto, who was retrieving the carriage back at the bridge. Everyone stood in the hotel lobby talking amongst themselves. Subaru felt a tug on his sleeve. He looks toward the source to see Ram, who gave him a small worried look before turning to the others like nothing happened.

"Alright everyone, let's make our way towards our rooms! I made an order for exactly five rooms! So assign yourselves appropriately!" Reinhard led the group to the third floor of the somewhat modern building. Everyone dispersed into their rooms, Emilia accompanying Subaru and Ram into theirs.

"What is it, Emilia?" Subaru asked Emilia politely. "I wanted to make sure you weren't injured, it was a foolish mistake of mine, not checking on you." Subaru shook his head. "Don't worry about it, I'm alright!" He gives a smile toward the worried girl. Subaru opened the door to their room, and stood in surprise.

"This is a ryokan..."

"Subaru? What's wrong?" Emilia asked Subaru in confusion. Subaru was taken by a large sense of nostalgia. After spending a long time in this world, he didn't give a second thought of Japan. Upon seeing the Japanese traditional room, he was struck with shock and surprise. It was only natural.

"No, I'm fine."

Subaru says in reassurance. Ram gave him a stare, not saying a word. Bringing himself back to consciousness, he turned to Emilia. "Go ahead back to your room." Subaru said with a smile. Emilia nods, and turns back, making her way down the hallway.

Once Emilia was gone, Ram grabbed Subaru's hand and pulled him inside of their room, shutting the door. Subaru carried the momentum of the pull onto the bed that stood against the wall of the room. Ram soon joins him, but keeps her distance.

Silence rang across the room, with the two laying in the bed, backs against each other. "Good work, Barusu." Ram breaks the silence, complementing Subaru. Hearing this, he smiled lightly to himself.

"Thanks Ram..."

He then felt a warm hand slip into his, causing him to blush. He flips over to see Ram closer to him than she was before. He pulled her into an embrace, holding her body against his. He looks down to see her looking up at him. Their eyes met, causing both of them to blush.