Chapter 14: Moonlight Sonata ♡

"Barusu, do you have a moment?"

Subaru turns around. "Sure!" Ram blushes as she grabs his hand and leads him to the top floor of the mansion. Taking him up to a door, she opens it and pulls him through. Standing on a balcony, Ram lets go of Subaru's hand as she sits down at a small table that has another seat on the opposite side. Subaru sits on the other side as he looks to his left, gazing at the sunset. Twilight washes over the horizon, causing the clouds to turn dark. 

Subaru turns to face Ram, as she's gazing at the twilight

Subaru turns to face Ram, as she's gazing at the twilight. Seeing the glimmer in her eyes, Subaru blushes. She then turns to face him and their eyes meet. Subaru looks down at the table and sees wine with a small cheesecake on the table. "Thank you for this Ram!" Ram sighed. "Frederica is the one who made it, stupid Barusu." Subaru looks down. "Yeah.." The two sit in silence for a bit as Frederica comes in to break the silence. "Hello you two! Here some water for you Subaru." Frederica then pours water into Subaru's glass. She bows and then exits. Subaru decides to start the conversation. "How aren't you tired, Ram?" Subaru asks. "I guess something has been keeping me awake." Subaru turned to her with a slightly concerned face. "What could that be?" Subaru gets up and grabs his glass of water, looking into the sky while sipping the water. Ram quickly gets up. "Barusu!" Subaru looks over at her. "Wh-what is it? Did I do something?" Subaru seemed a bit frightened. "I'm glad you didn't die!" Subaru looked a bit confused. "Why did you say that in such a frantic tone?" Ram's face washes over with a blush as she sits down again. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to jump at you like that." She slowly sits back down as Subaru quickly rushes over to her grabbing her hand. "Is there something you want to tell me?" Ram slides away from his hand as she sits. "Just forget about it, stupid Barusu."

Subaru looks back into the sunset left with his own thoughts. He then hears the chair slide and Ram walking over to his left. She stands with him as she gazes at the sun as well. "The sunset is pretty isn't it." Subaru says with a smile, enjoying Ram's company.  She responds "It is." in a light tone. Subaru never heard her use that tone of voice before. He then feels her hand slip into his. He accepts it and holds it tight.  "By the way Barusu, do you happen to know where Lord Roswaal went? He left without saying a word." Subaru's eyebrows fall into an interested look. "Huh? I didn't hear anything about him leaving. That's a bit strange..." Ram then caresses his hand with hers. "I believe we shouldn't worry. As he is the kingdom's strongest magic user I'm sure Lord Roswaal will be fine." Subaru's eyes widen. "Strongest magic user? Woah!" Ram smirks and scoffs. "That's exactly why Beatrice is contracted to protect the forbidden library, to protect his books from prying eyes." Subaru's eyes squint. "I see."

The two fall silent and look back at the sunset. Subaru couldn't even think that much at the moment, since his mind was all over the place. Ram, the white whale, betelgeuse, and rem were switching his thoughts all over the place. He looks over to Ram, noticing she looks nervous, as if she's about to say something. She quickly looks over to him and speaks. "B-barusu, I have something to tell you!" Subaru starts to sweat. "Huh? What is it?". She averts her eyes downward.

"I'm not sure how to put this, but.... I-.." She pauses for a small second as she mumbles. "love you..." 

Subaru's eyes widen as he doesn't know how to respond. Ram continues. "Ever since we met.. I had a feeling.."

 "H-huh?!"

Ram gets closer to Subaru's face with a blush. "Barusu, I love your unique eye color and clothes, it makes you special. I love your kind personality towards children and adults alike. I love the way you never give up. I love the way you always make things right. I-I love you!" Subaru then looks down with a shocked look on his face. "H-how can you.. love someone like me? You call me pathetic all the time and-" Suddenly he was interrupted by something covering his lips. His eyebrows raise as he sees Ram's lips pressed against his. She pulls back and looks at him. "I won't even let you st-" She then was interrupted by Subaru grabbing her by the waist and head and kissing her. She closed her eyes as they held eachother in the kiss  for what felt like forever to Subaru. The wind gave a breeze and gave them a chill. Subaru pulls back and gives Ram a smile. "I-I love you too then Ram." She pulls him in for another kiss as Subaru laughs a bit.

Once again pulling back, he smiles. "Not gonna lie, I was shocked to hear those words come out of your mouth." Ram scoffs. "I had to get it off my chest..." They both sit down and talk. They laughed, flirted, and blushed. Subaru put a piece of the cheesecake in his mouth as his eyes widen. "Wow.. This is really good!" He starts shoving pieces down his mouth as Ram rolls her eyes. "How disgusting, Barusu, go die" Subaru blushes with a surprised look on his face. "Wh- what do you mean?! I can't enjoy this cheesecake?!" Ram laughs. "Cutie" Subaru's eyes widen as he puts a slice in his mouth. "Don't call me that.." Ram smirks. "Cutie" Subaru blushes and pouts. She smiles at him and says "I've captured that face for my memory" Subaru rolls his eyes. They continue to talk until the moon is fully out. Subaru stands up and looks up at the large moon. "So this other world has a moon?" Subaru thinks to himself.

Walking down to the main lobby at midnight, the moonlight shines through the windows. Subaru walks down the staircase and approaches the piano in the hallway. "They have.. pianos here too?" He thinks to himself. "Barusu, what are you doing?" Subaru sits down on the stool of the piano, the moonlight shining through the windows. "What I'm about to do is cliche as hell isn't it?" He thinks to himself. Ram walks up to the piano and leans on to it. "You gonna play anything?" She asks. Subaru looks down in thought. "Maybe this world might not know the songs I do..." He looks up and Ram and nods.

He starts playing the song that was a classic in his world. Everyone has at least heard it once. It was the 1st movement of the piano sonata, in the key of  C-sharp minor. Everyone knew it as Beethoven's most well known pieces in music.

Subaru played it in a soft tone, as Ram's eyes widen. She stares at the night sky through the window. Tears start welling up in her eyes as he wraps up the song. "Th-that was beautiful Barusu..." Subaru gives her a soft smile. "Thanks!" He wispers.

Walking through the woods, Rem had a crazed look in her face. "Travelling from the capital to here on foot is impossible.. but I'm here!" She looks up at the towering hill leading up to the building. "So... according to what he told me, it should take me until sunrise to get there..." She starts walking upward. "Either ways, I'd be overjoyed to see how Subaru is doing!"

Volume 3 end