Chapter 28: Reduced to Ash

CANON ARC 5 SPOILERS, ONCE AGAIN.

"Barusu, are you alright?" Subaru grabbed his head, sitting back in thought. "Wh-what the hell just happened?!" Subaru sat in silence, Ram grabbing his hand tighter in worry. To Subaru, there was no one remotely near him that could have killed him, as far as he knew. Could it have something to do with what Reinhard said?

Reinhard darted toward Sirius, seeing an opening after she deflected an attack with the chains attached to her. His blade sliced through Sirius' neck smoothly, making blood splatter all over the ground. Her bandages were stained red, and as she collapsed Reinhard blurted something out in shock "This isn't good!"

Those were the last words he could recall before his life came to an abrupt end. "There's no way my death was intentionally caused by Reinhard..." Knowing Reinhard, he was far too nice of a person a thing such as killing Subaru. They were on great terms as well.

Before Subaru was able to finish his train of thought, a worried voice called to him. "Barusu?" Subaru immediately responds, and buries his face in her cloak once again.

"Y-yeah I'm fine." He stutters, with a couple of tears running down her cloak. In her usual scoffing tone, she gripped his hand tighter. "Stop worrying me so much, pathetic Barusu." Subaru smiled slightly, being relieved to hear her usual tone of voice she spoke to him with.

After regaining his composure, he spoke to Ram, along with the people by the carriage. "We need to hurry to Priestella, now!" Confused, Ram asked. "What for?" Subaru shook his head, explaining. "I don't know what they're planning, but they are still Sin Archbishops. We have to get there as soon as possible!" Ram nodded quickly. "If you insist, then I suppose I have no choice either."

Subaru set his gaze to Otto, who was by the land dragon, talking with Frederica. "Sorry about this, Otto." Subaru thought to himself, while slightly cringing. "Otto, is the carriage ready?" Otto looked over to Subaru with a dumbfounded look on his face."What's the rush for, Mister Natsuki?" He then motioned his hand toward Frederica, giving Subaru a sign that yells "I'm trying to have some time with her right now!" Subaru gave him a slight frown.

"We have to get to those Sin Archbishops and stop them as soon as possible!" Subaru put his hands together, giving him a signal for his sorrys. Otto then scratched the back of his head with a sad look on his face, as Frederica hugged Otto from behind. She then whispered something into his ear, making him blush. Otto's expression was priceless, Subaru could not hold back from having a small laugh.

Otto went to take their supplies, and the condition of the land dragon. "Subaru, do you know anything about the person we're fighting?" Reinhard approached Subaru while Otto was preparing the carriage. Scratching his head, Subaru started to talk about Sirius' power. "I don't know anything about Lust, but I think Wrath might have some sort of ability to make people suddenly calm."

Reinhard squinted his eyes, putting his hand across his chin. "Well that's troublesome. How do you know that Wrath will be here?" Subaru's eyes widen slightly, his heart rate picking up. "Shit." Subaru came to realize that Reinhard was not informed about Sirius yet, and what he just explained was strangely suspicious to Reinhard.

"I-it's just a guess. Since there's one Sin Archbishop there I think it would be safe to assume there would be others." Subaru scratched the back of his head with a smile. Reinhard then gave him a reassuring smirk. "I see. How do you suppose we combat this ability of Wrath's?" Subaru looked around in thought to no avail.

"That I don't know, but we have to get there before they can cause any harm!" Subaru said with a determined tone in his voice. Almost immediately after his statement, Otto called out for him. Perfect timing indeed."Mister Natsuki! The ground dragon is ready!" Subaru whipped around to Otto with a grin on his face. "Great!" He flashed a toothy smile, as Reinhard began to walk toward the carriage.