Chapter 26: Sirius

ARC 5 SPOILERS IN THIS CHAPTER

Subaru slept surprisingly peacefully throughout the rumbling ride of the carriage Otto looked over to Subaru with tired eyes as the sun started to slowly rise. Otto sighed and laid back as more sunlight poured through the forest they were rushing through.

Feeling a numb but sensible impact on his face, Subaru jolted awake as light blinded his eyes. He rubbed them as he groaned. He felt a pressure on his lap, with arms wrapped around him. He felt warm as he blushed a little.

"It's about time you woke up, useless Barusu."

He heard a familiar voice scoff at him, while regaining his vision. Red eyes looked into his dazed face, as Ram gave a pouty face. She had her arms wrapped around him, and was sitting on his lap on her knees, facing him. Otto looked over at him and pointed back with his thumb. The others were still asleep in the carriage, minus Beatrice. She squinted her eyes at him when he looked back.

Regaining his conscious, he realized that the carriage was stopped. The land dragon was looking back at the three on the front seat, letting out a small and short grunt.

"Why are we here?" Subaru asked as he returned Ram's embrace. Otto scratched the back of his head and responded. "Sorry Mister Natsuki, seems like our ground dragon can't go any farther for now."

Subaru's eyebrows fell as he posed a question with a stern tone in his voice. "Why not?! We need to get there as soon as possible!" Ram poked his forehead, pushing his head back a little. Rem came around from the front of the dragon with an empty basket. It seemed as if she was feeding it fruits.

"If we continued now, it would be a very bumpy ride as we wouldn't have our Divine Protection of Wind Break." She explained. Subaru nodded reluctantly. "I see. What do we do now then?! We're stranded in the middle of nowhere!" Asking yet again another question, it was left unanswered.

Ram let go of her embrace quickly at the presence of her sister and jumped down to the dirt ground. "Barusu, come here for a moment." She waved over as she started to distance herself from the carriage. Subaru nodded and jumped out of the carriage. His heart started pounding as his face turned red.

Recalling the events of last night, he remembered them kissing underneath the starlit sky. Coincidentally, a shooting star went over them. As he thought of this, feelings of wanting to do it again came back. He let out a long exhale as he suddenly thought about something
"Wait, did I get the authority of Gluttony when I killed that bastard? Oh no, this isn't good..."

Following Ram, she made a stop. This also forced Subaru's thoughts to be put on hold. Although unaware of Ram's intentions, he still maintained a calm expression with a slight blush on his face. "What's up, Ram?"

As he snapped himself out of the feeling of small intensity from her not responding, he noticed she had a stern look on her face.

"I looked through my clairvoyance and saw some sort of figure. It was definitely a human and it was covered in bandages from head to toe. On top of that, they had chains on both of their arms. It was difficult to tell what gender they were, but from the looks of it, they were female."

Subaru blinked as he was surprised at the description she gave him. Standing at the shore of the deep forest -at a long enough distance for their conversation to not be heard by any of the members in the carriage--, clairvoyance had a pretty long range. Covering almost a mile in range. "There are mummies here?" was the first thing Subaru could compare the off-putting description to.

He hesitated a response as he decided not to question the bizarreness of the person. "So what does this have to do with anything?" He asked. Ram put her hand on her forehead and let out a small sigh.