Chapter 23: Regulus

“You again…”

Regulus approached the group as he saw Lye’s mutilated corpse split across the brick road. Subaru looked into Regulus’ eyes as he remembered what happened the first time they saw him.

Subaru felt a sharp pain as he realized his arm was removed from his body. He spewed out blood as his vision blurred.

Subaru thought to himself, “It’s probably best if I don’t piss this guy off then…” Subaru pointed toward the now decapitated Lye as he questioned.

“You know that guy?” As he said this, Regulus seemed to be more agitated. "If I didn't, then why would I stand h-" Ram interrupted him as she shot. "Explain yourself! Who are you?" Ram stared at the gold-eyed man as he scoffed back in response. "Who told you to interrupt me as I'm speaking?! I do believe that is a violation of my right to express myself!"

Subaru’s eyes widened as he saw Regulus slowly start to raise his hand upward as he brought it up with a quick jolt. Ram screamed in pain as her now split arm hit the concrete. Subaru reeled back in horror as he was disgusted by the scene. Rem and Beatrice quickly rush over to Ram as Regulus once again spoke.

"Don't interrupt while I'm speaking." He muttered. Subaru was battling against his emotions. He badly wanted to attack the man, however, he was still unknown to his powers. With Subaru looking over to see Ram barely breathing, he inhaled as he gathered up all of his rage and turned it into energy. He yelled at the top of his lungs. “Shamak!”

A black cloud erupted from Subaru as he ran through the void, seemingly remembering Regulus’ location. As he panted with a crazed smile across his face, the black void vanished in a flash as Regulus threw dirt into the air. The dirt suddenly rushed through the air toward Subaru. The dirt hit his chest as it plunged through his skin and into his lungs. He then felt it come out of his back and swarm his entire body as if a pack of angry bees were attacking him. Subaru felt his soul quickly leave him as his vision faded to black. His body materialized as Regulus scoffed, looking down at Ram, Rem, and Beatrice.

“Al Cla-“ Julius was interrupted by Regulus flicking his hand upward. Julius’ arm went flying off of his body, as his sword flew across the air and pierced into nearby dirt. Julius fell to his knees, as Regulus stepped toward the three girls. He smiled looking down at them.

Subaru stood up quickly in the cold and damp void as he held his head in pain. “How am I supposed to deal with someone like him?”  He saw the hand reach out toward him as he thought. “He was able to cut off my arm with a flick of a hand? How are we supposed to battle that?” Suddenly, Subaru heard a voice ring through his head.

“For so long, so very long… I have loved you.” It was a female voice, it sounded soft and comforting. Subaru looked around in the darkness as the arm reached closer to him. “Huh?” Subaru was struck with confusion as the voice continued to ring in his head. “For so very long…” Subaru looked around, but could not find anything but the pitch black void. “Who’s voice am I hearing?”

Subaru noticed the arm vanish as he looked to see a dark figure standing in front of him. He was able to tell it was a female, considering the detailed curves on her body. The figure started to walk toward him as he muttered. “Wh-who are you?” Suddenly, he started to have visions flash before his very eyes.

He first saw Beatrice again with tears in her eyes, however, they stood in a different scene. Ram was in the background, grabbing Subaru as tears rolled down her eyes. “This has to be…” Subaru remembered this loop from a long time ago. The time he met with Elsa once again. Beatrice scoffed as she looked down saddened. “Why do humans gain such emotions, I suppose?... Along with spirits…” Subaru’s eyes widened as the vision cut from his eyes.