↳ CHAPTER TWO

- NEW FRIENDS-
————————————————

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷CHAPTER TWOˏˋ°•*⁀➷
(act i)

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷CHAPTER TWOˏˋ°•*⁀➷(act i)

———PROMISES———

THE PEVENSIES arrived at their destination. Coombe Halt. There was nobody else at the station. They heard a car beep and they picked up their bags and ran off to the side. The car didn't stop it just went over the tracks.

"The professor knew we were coming." Susan pointed out as the car drove away. "Perhaps we've been incorrectly labelled?" Edmund questioned looking down at his tag. Just as those words left his mouth, a horse and carriage came around the corner with an old woman.

Peter skeptically looked at Susan and back at the woman. "Mrs. Macready?" he questioned. "I'm afraid so. Is this it? Haven't you bought anything else?" she asked looking down at their small suitcases.

"No ma'am. Just us." Lucy looked up at Mrs. Macready and nodded. "Small favours." she motioned for them to get in the back of the carriage.

She turned the cart around and they arrived at a big mansion. Edmund ignored his brother, who occasionally nudged him to get his attention and stared at the mansion in amazement.

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

"Professor Kirke is not accustomed to having children in this house apart from Miss Emily. And, as such, there are a few rules we need to follow. There will be no shouting. Or running. No improper use of the dumb waiter." Mrs Macready said as the four children looked around the big mansion in amazement.

Susan went to reach out and touch a head on the stairs when she was stopped by Mrs. Macready.

"No! Touching of the historical artifacts!" Mrs. Macready scolded. Edmund looked at Peter and snickered as Susan retracted her hand and sighed "And above all, there should be no disturbin' of the professor."

The siblings followed Mrs. Macready down many hallways before she shouted up another flight of stairs. "Emily Kirke. I thought I told you to come down. It's rude to keep our guests waiting!"

"All right, all right. No need to shout. I thought I told you to be less patronising." a girl with dark brown hair came running down the stairs, and just a bit taller than Edmund was.

Edmund stared at the girl, she was quite beautiful. Not like any of the girls from London. She was different. Mrs. Macready gave a harsh stare at Emily. Scolding her with only her eyes. "Emily, these are our guests so be nice and show them to their rooms." the Macready said before walking off.

After the Macready left Emily turned to face the four children around her. "So, welcome to your new home for the foreseeable future." she began, clasping her hands together. The four stayed silent, looking down at their feet, avoiding eye contact with the girl.

"Don't mind her, she's always like this. You'll get used to it soon." Emily reassured them but none of them looked at her. "Right, if you don't mind me asking, what are your names?"

"Oh, umm- I'm Peter and these are my siblings Lucy, Susan and-" the blonde boy gestured to his sisters. "I can introduce myself! I'm Edmund." the boy with raven hair held out his hand for Emily to shake. Emily slightly smiled and shook his hand.

"Pleasure." she looked him up and down before letting go of his hand and turned on her heel and began walking up the stairs. The four children followed Emily up the stairs. "So, how long have you been here for?" Peter asked, starting up conversation to break up the awkward silence.

"Well, I've been living here for almost 10 years, I've never really had any kids around my age live here. I've only had the company of that woman nagging me every five seconds." Emily explained, jabbing her thumb back to where Mrs. Macready had left them.

They followed Emily along the corridor with a locked door and the spare room and then they took a left to be faced with 4 rooms.

"Okay, the boys room is the closest to the the corner and the girls and the next one across. The bathroom is straight behind me and my room is across the hall if you need me." she explained while pointed to every room.

Peter thanked her. "No problem. I'll see you all at dinner." and with that she turned on her heel and walked into her room.

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

Later that night, Emily walked back upstairs after making her evening tea and she walked past the girls' room.

She peeked through the crack in the door to see all the siblings inside the room.

"Yeah, if home's still there." Edmund walked into the room. "Isn't it time you were in bed?" Susan asked, fed up of her younger brother. "Yes, Mum." he replied rudely.

"Ed!" Peter scolded. Edmund sighed, rolling his eyes slightly at his older brother.

"You saw outside. This place is huge. We can do whatever we want here. Tomorrow is going to be great. Really." Peter reassured the youngest Pevensie sibling.

Emily smiled to herself before heading to her room, placing her tea on the table beside her double bed.

She climbed into her bed, sitting against her headboard and picked up her tea and sipped it gently. She placed the tea back on the table and picked up the tattered book on her bedside table. She opened the front cover and read what was on the first page, sadly smiling to herself.

She flipped through the other pages, tracing her fingers across the scruffy paint. She turned further into the book seeing her own handwriting from the past few years scribbled across the page.

She picked up the quill on her table, dipping it in the ink and turning to a fresh page and writing all her thoughts from her day.

Once she had finished, she opened the drawer and placed the book in the drawer and locking it shut with the key, tucking it under her pillow. She shifted down to let her head lay on her pillow and she fell into a deep slumber.

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷