↳ CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

-PEACEFUL NIGHT SKIES-
—————————————————
ˏˋ°•*⁀➷CHAPTER THIRTY-FOURˏˋ°•*⁀➷
(act iii)

-PEACEFUL NIGHT SKIES-—————————————————ˏˋ°•*⁀➷CHAPTER THIRTY-FOURˏˋ°•*⁀➷(act iii)

———PROMISES———

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

WHEN EMILY WAS safely returned to the ground, Edmund, Lucy, Caspian and a few others were waiting for her on the shore.

"Calm down, it's just Eustace." Emily assured them making them put their swords away. "He must have been tempted by the treasure." Edmund pointed out.

"Anyone knows a dragon's treasure is enchanted." Eustace looked at him squinting his eyes at Caspian angrily.

"Well, anyone from here."

Lucy walked up to Eustace looking at the treasure that was around his arm. She took off the treasure making Eustace yelp out in pain.

"Is there any way to change him back?" Edmund asked. "Not that I know of." Caspian looked to the captain who shrugged his shoulders.

"Aunt Alberta will not be pleased." Edmund looked back at Eustace who was dragging his hand across the sand.

"Sorry about the hand, old boy. I can be a little overzealous at time." Reepicheep apologised.

"The boats are ready, sire." Tarvos called out. "We can't leave him behind." Lucy pointed out, looking at Drinian.

"Well, we can't bring him onboard, your majesty." Drinian argued. "Drinian, you and the others take one boat back. The rest of us will stay here until morning and.. figure out what to do." Caspian handed the sword Emily and Edmund had found earlier to Drinian.

"But you have no provisions, and no means of keeping warm." Rhince protested. Eustace breathed out some fire and it landed on a stick making a fire. "Oh, you were saying?"

It was now nightfall, it was a clear night with a cool breeze and you could see the stars.

A shooting star shot across the sky as Emily lay awake, looking up at the night sky. She couldn't remember the last time she looked up at the stars. It was truly a beautiful sight.

"I've never seen these constellations before." Edmund spoke up. Emily sat up and looked towards him seeing he was also awake with Caspian looking up at the stars just as she was.

"We're a long way from home. When I was a boy, I used to imagine sailing to the end of the world.. finding my father there."

"Maybe you will." Edmund looked up at Caspian from where he was laying down.

"You're lucky if you have a chance to find your father, in this world." Emily spoke up catching both of their attentions. "How do you mean?" Caspian asked.

She pulled out the crystal from underneath her shirt and showed it to them.

"You see this? It was my mothers before she died in the professor's house. She always told me that "It helped her feel protected" from my father until that one day when she wasn't wearing it, she died." she paused for a second to catch her breath.

"And obviously I didn't understand what she meant until the professor explained it to me many years later. So I spent my free time looking for the lost crystal. But I never found it. Until I spotted it in a shop for sale. I'm surprised it was still there after all these years. I obviously couldn't buy it since I had no money so I--" she explained but was cut off.

"You stole it?!" Caspian asked, raising his eyebrows.

"Well, technically yes. But it was stolen by, I'm guessing my father and he sold it to get rid of her for good. But ever since I've had it, I feel I've been protected, like with the slave traders, those dufflepud things, Eustace, the bewitched treasure I found. I just wish that Ivy was wearing it.. or even knew about it. Maybe she would still be here.." Emily finished.

"I'm sorry, Em." Edmund said. "I'm sorry too.." Caspian agreed.

"Honestly, you guys don't need to sympathise for me. It's okay." Emily reassured them. "We all know what it feels like to lose someone we care about." Edmund said, sadly.

"I guess we all have pretty messed up family problems, don't we?" Caspian pointed out.

This made them all chuckle. The three sat talking for what seemed like hours.

Caspian decided to call it a day and moved over to lay down on the sand further away from Edmund and Emily.

"Em?" Edmund asked, getting her attention. Emily turned her head away from the stars to look at Edmund.

"Are you sure you're all right? You haven't spoken to any of us in days. Is this about the night of the storm because if it is-" Edmund rambled.

"I promise you, I'm fine. It's not because of the night of the storm. It's just. I want this to all be over. Ed, I just want to go back home." Emily ranted.

"You want to go back? Back to your Dad?" Edmund questioned, frowning remembering the unread letters he and Lucy sent her.

"I've had enough of him. And my step-mother and step-sister." Emily began, taking a deep breath. "I'm going to run away."

"Run away? That's new." Edmund pointed out, smiling slightly. "Where would you go?" he asked. Emily pulled her knees to her chest, wrapping her arms around them, trying to keep herself warm.

"Away from London. Away from Cambridge. I want to live by a beach in the middle of nowhere. Swim in the sea. Explore random caves. It was my mum's dream she had promised to give me and Ivy. So I'm going to live it. For my mum and Ivy." Emily explained, a small smile on her face. A genuine smile. One she hadn't had in a while.

"I might just have to join you." Edmund added, staring at her. "I'm sure I can make room for you in my plan." Emily joked. He chuckled. "Goodnight, Em."

"Goodnight, Ed." She watched as he turned away from her, falling asleep. Emily smiled to herself and lay back down and turned on her side, picking up the crystal around her neck and holding it to her mouth and kissing it lightly.

"I miss you, mum." she whispered to herself before falling asleep.

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷